Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet 1642 Motor gone bad

Unhappy Jet 1642 Motor gone bad

Welp. It finally happened. Sometime last year I began to hear a noise in the motor of my Jet EVS 1642. Of course it was just out of warranty. I bought it May of 2009 and started realizing the noise sometime last fall or so...
    Well Saturday I was in the shop turning some coffee table legs and the noise got louder and louder. A look at the pulleys while running shows the motor shaft wobbling while motor is making a 'scrape, scrape, scrape' metal-on-metal noise...
    I took the motor off clamped it to my bench, and attempted to make the shaft wobble or make noise. It feels smooth as can be... Put it back under power and the noise and wobble comes back.
    Jet technical support guy said his went bad too, and had to replace it. The local motor rebuilder say it's cheaper to replace it than rebuild it.
    It's still not cheap at $460 plus shipping.
    Dang it. Wish I'd heard that noise before the warranty ran out.
    Why's a motor going bad on a 6 year old machine anyway? It's not like I run the dog crap out of the thing running it couple times a month....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

The person at Jet who does the math like insurance companies do with actuarials, really did his job on that one. Generous appearing warranty when purchasing, but product fails outside warranty and generates parts sales for company. Sorry to hear that. Have you eliminated any possibility of the two spindle bearings contributing to the racket or any wobble? If so, would be a good time to go ahead and change them out, along with your belt. I've replaced spindle bearings on my 1640 when I had it...not a bad job. Was able to use a wood block to gently tap out the bearings.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Jim, I just had the front bearing go out in my one year old 1642 230V motor. The symptoms were somewhat similar: under power, and at lower rpm, there was a noisy metallic scraping/clicking sound. With power and pulley off, it seemed to turn smoothly. Jet quickly sent me a new motor and when I pulled the old one apart, the front bearing was obviously gone. $15.00 later, she's as good as new and a spare on the shelf. I've never redone a motor before, but it was pretty easy. Suggest you may not have much to lose to get a mechanical buddy for support, a set of bearing pullers, and go for it?

I'll pull the motor apart tonight or tomorrow night and see what I can see. It can't be the head stock spindle (or the inverter) because I tried it with the belt off and the motor shaft wobbles too much and makes noise only under power.

On the bench I can NOT make it wobble or make noise even after I clamp it to the bench and pull up or push down as hard as I can.
    Gotta be something in the end housing....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I was also thinking you may want a second opinion on the repair. Sounds like a bearing, and I can't see how changing 2 bearings can be more expensive than buying a new motor. I've not yet taken apart a TEFC motor, but I wouldn't think it's that hard. Thanks John for the info, I'll watch my bearings and hopefully if they do fail, it's before the warranty runs out.
    Perhaps the time and labor cost involved to replace a bearing or 2 is not "worth" the effort, and it is cheaper for Jet to send a new motor assembled overseas.

I would take the motor to a local shop and have them check it out. If it is apparent it has to be replaced you see if you can replace the motor through another vender. I have found Jet's prices quite high for parts.
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 05-11-2015 at 5:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    The person at Jet who does the math like insurance companies do with actuarials, really did his job on that one. Generous appearing warranty when purchasing, but product fails outside warranty and generates parts sales for company.
    Five years is much better than what some other companies offer.

i feel fortunate with my 1642....mine was 1 1/2 hp.....was yours 1 1/2 or 2 hp???????

bought mine at ricchmond symposium 2008?????

If it is just bearings and it sounds like it is, pull it apart and go to a Motion Industries, Applied Industries, Kaman, or similar store. These are industrial type places. Ask for an SKF, Timken, or other good name brand. These bearings are probably sealed since I don't remember seeing grease fittings on my 1642 motor.

A motor shop can test the motor and make sure the rest is fine. For them to rewind the motor, it is cheaper to replace it. We dont rebuild motors until 40 HP or larger. We will change bearings in the smaller motors if we are sure that is all that is wrong. We just changed bearings on a 3 HP motor on one of the FD fans in the boiler room at work (I am responsible for the boiler room, so it was my call. We did it after looking at it with one of our electricians - rather the electrician/millwright changed the bearings).
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Jim, I think we bought our Lathe's at about the same time. I'm on my third motor, knock on wood both mine where under warranty. I have a grinding noise starting in the head stock and I think it bearings. I use my lathe a lot at times 16 to 20 hours a week .Keep us updated on the motor I would like to no how it turns out and where you get the motor .

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph M Lary View Post
    Jim, I think we bought our Lathe's at about the same time. I'm on my third motor, knock on wood both mine where under warranty.
    I bought mine in 2008. Still on first motor [knock on wood!], after literally hundreds of bowls, as many plates, and almost as many hollow forms, plus lots of other stuff.

Blog Entries
    Jim I also am having trouble with my 1642 not sure what the problem is!
    While turning it sometimes just loses power and will free wheel to a stop. If I push the reset button on the inverter it will reset and start again it may run for a few minutes or continue to run for as long as I'am turning. Called jet a while back as I thought it was the inverter but tech said he didn't think it was bad.
    anyone have any ideas? Motor doesn't run hot just shuts down.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tilley View Post
    Jim I also am having trouble with my 1642 not sure what the problem is!
    While turning it sometimes just loses power and will free wheel to a stop. If I push the reset button on the inverter it will reset and start again it may run for a few minutes or continue to run for as long as I'am turning. Called jet a while back as I thought it was the inverter but tech said he didn't think it was bad.
    anyone have any ideas? Motor doesn't run hot just shuts down.
    Are you plugged in to a GFCI outlet? If so, that could possibly confuse the inverter.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jim - I tried sending you a PM but your box is full but here is the info I tried to send:

Jim - I have a PM3520B that's about 1-1/2 years old. Right about a year I could hear a noise from the motor at slow speed or coast down. As suggested by a Creeker I bought a $4 mechanics stethoscope at Harbor freight and determined it was a bearing. Took about 3 calls to PM but they eventually sent me a replacement motor under warranty. Guess what? They didn't request the OEM motor be sent back. So I tore it apart (actually pretty easy - only special tool really needed is a gear/bearing puller). This 3-phase motor doesn't have brushes - pretty simple design. Found out they didn't properly remove some metal casting flashing and small pieces of this got into the bearings. So I cleaned up the flash ordered new bearings and now have a spare motor. Sounds like you have bearing problems so worth a try.

Don't know if the PM & Jet share the same motor but I might give some thought about selling my spare.

Mike

The shaft is bent.
    I took the motor apart last night. The bearings are smooth, and they seem to be fairly tight in the end caps. But the armature has been scrubbing the laminations of the coils mounted in the case.
    I mounted the armature between centers of my lathe and rotated by hand. You can see the "lope" even at hand speed.
    I thought I might be able to replace it with a Baldor motor, but can't seem to find specs that match. I'd hate to buy a new motor and it not work...

IMG_3634.JPG
    Here's the pix of the armature and coil laminations. You can see where they've been in contact with each other. The laminations have been shifted over. Eventually, they'll pinch the coils if they haven't already....
    IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3636.JPG
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain