Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jet 1642 Motor gone bad

See the cooling fins in your center picture - that's where mine had all the casting flash left on it (thin as tin foil). If the bearings spin really freely that's a sign that they may be bad. Don't see how the shaft could have bent though.

Mike

For a replacement motor try "Automationdirect"

Mike, I've run into other posts where folks have said the PM and Jet are using the same inverter. If that's the case, I don't see why the PM motor wouldn't work...
    Might have to reprogram it though.
    Is yours a 3phase 230 volt motor?
    Might have to do some research on this...

I've been doing some perusing on the internet. Seems like this motor has given an awful LOT of people trouble. Now I'm just a bit ticked off at Jet for it. I'll do some more examinining of the motor just to TOTALLY eliminate bearings, but I don't think that's the problem...
    I'm really tempted to remove the armature from the shaft just to see what's under there....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

A lot of people may not want to admit it but I would just about bet that is the same motor that's in my Grizzly GO733 or could be interchanged. Maybe the same as some of the other "clones" as well. Might not be any cheaper but I would sure as heck check.
    Last edited by daryl moses; 05-12-2015 at 4:05 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    A lot of people may not want to admit it but I would just about bet that is the same motor that's in my Grizzly GO733 or could be interchanged. Maybe the same as some of the other "clones" as well. Might not be any cheaper but I would sure as heck check.
    Not sure on that, Daryl.......I have not heard of one motor failure on a G0733. Might be interchangeable if it will mount up with the Jet mounting plate. More likely the motor from a G0632 clone would fit it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Might be worth a call to Jet to see if they can help you out even out of warranty .

Also, my bearings for my PM motor were less than $20 from Accurate Bearing. I would at least try them before I tried to remove the armature.

mike

I was at Woodcraft last night looking at the Jet 1642 I thought it was a decent moderatly priced lathe. After reading this thread I am not sure buying is a good idea.

Izzy,
    The more I read, the more I find that it was a bad batch of motors. I suppose one would have to get one of the current batch and use it for 6 years to see if the new ones were better.
    I've spoken with the Jet folks. We'll see if they'll give me some help with this. Gotta find my serial number first though.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Izzy,
    The more I read, the more I find that it was a bad batch of motors. I suppose one would have to get one of the current batch and use it for 6 years to see if the new ones were better.
    And as I said earlier, I've had one for 7-8 years without a motor problem and with extended use.

Robert,
    And then there's Joseph, who says he's on his third motor...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I definitely wouldn't by a motor from jet. Just find a 1 1/2 hp c face motor to match. Oem motors are notoriously expensive.

If the motor shaft is bent I do not believe that could be anything else but a defect in manf. quality control . With a belt drive I do not believe that you could ever place enough torque back threw a belt to cause a bent motor shaft. It would be twisted not bent anyway.

You may want to try Grainger's. I have replaced many many motors on various machines over the years as an electrician and have never been stumped in finding a match up.

Angry

Doesn't look like Jet is going to help me out. If they do I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've been told that after 7 years (the date the motor was manufactured- NOT the date I bought it) it's "normal wear and tear" for a shaft to bend.

Right. And I'm a friggin panda bear.

I posted on this forum on May 8th, 2009 the very day I bought the thing. I also posted on this forum on May 12th, 2009 when it arrived on my dock. I probably put it together that night or the next night, so it's been six years almost to the DAY since I first turned it on in my shop. And it began to exhibit these symptoms sometime last summer, just out of warranty...

Just my luck.

If anyone can give me any help finding the right aftermarket motor, I'm all ears. I'm not exactly sure what to do. Last time I tried to get something aftermarket to work for my 1014 it didn't turn out so well. The aftermarke start run capacitor I bought let the smoke out in less than a second or two....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

well the first thing I would do is look at the motor tag and see what is the frame number listed for the motor that should get you started as where to look of course there will be other info req. but the frame number is good to start with.