Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dedicated dust collector for a wide belt sander?

^^ Good advice. Velocity is important to capture the dust flying off of the sanding head and for sweeping the belt clean
    JR

I don't have a wide belt sander, so maybe I should mind my own business, but...
    DC bags clog very quickly and are a pain to clean. That just doesn't seem like a good choice.

I understand a drum sander isn't the same as a belt sander, but I don't have any problems with dust with my drum sander and a cyclone. But if it is for you, I would look into adding additional filter area.

Grizzly cyclones have filter bushes that are very easy to use, if you are not using the belt sander continuously all the time, it only takes 10 seconds to pull the brushes through the filter a few times when the cyclone is off.
    I don't have a belt sander but maybe someone with this combo could advise how effective this set up is or isn't. Maybe for the amount you intend to use it you could have 1 machine adequately handle your needs.

Bags and to a lesser extent, cartridges, are built to surface load so they shake off easily. That works much better with cartridges that filter from the outside in because the pleats are wide on the outside. Problem with cartridges when filtering inside out is the difficulty when cleaning. Brushes don't get between the tight pleats and compressed air doesn't work as well from the outside. Cartridges used for fine dust tend to be outside to in with compressed air pulsed inside to blow the dust out of the wide pleats. Bags work because even when they collapse from lack of air, some dust cakes off the fabric. Beating them with a broom does the same thing. Commerical bags have built in shakers and cartridges use jet pulse to clean. Unless you pay big bucks for a pulse jet cartridge cleaner, bags are the simple cheap way to deal with fine dust. Whatever you do, you want filters designed specifically for fine dust. Dave

I have brush on my shop Foxx filter am now venting outside..........