Thread: flare tip for propane torch/bending plastic, lexan

flare tip for propane torch/bending plastic, lexan

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Have always used a heat gun for bending acrylic, etc.

But, was reading in some old ShopNotes about using a flare tip for propane torch. Hmmmm. A new tool attachment. But, can't find one.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

What brand/type torch?
    My Bernz-o-matic kit has one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Is there any other kind?

Couldn't find anything on Benzomatic site (is this named after the infamous benzene molecule?)
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

For $30 you can get a HF kit with hose. Gets good reviews.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Yes, @ HF they have an entire set for $30. They call it a flat tip.

Amazon has flat tip attachement for $8. I was searching under wrong word.

Thanks, Myk!
    David

I found it at True Value. Little thing slides onto torch tip. Flame Spreader $7
    David

Blog Entries
    In my opinion you are wasting your time. I've tried the flame spreader and even though it spreads the flame slightly, there is still a very distinct flame point right at the center. The softening point for acrylic is 176 degrees F so a heat gun is less likely to scorch the plastic than a 3600 degree propane torch flame.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    In my opinion you are wasting your time. I've tried the flame spreader and even though it spreads the flame slightly, there is still a very distinct flame point right at the center. The softening point for acrylic is 176 degrees F so a heat gun is less likely to scorch the plastic than a 3600 degree propane torch flame.
    that is disappointing. How do you bend plastic?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    that is disappointing. How do you bend plastic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=160&v=ovqnIBQuezA

one way is in the vid .

Quote Originally Posted by fred marcuson View Post
    Cool video and heat machine....looks pricey. TAP is where I get special stuff from, though.
    David

I have a setup for bending Versatex, Kevlar heat blankets that heat to 450 degrees. Works on Lexan as well. Maybe you can find someone in your area that has one that will heat it for you. They are expensive, my setup was $1,300 but is quite a bit larger than the one in the video.

Something you could try, sandwich your stock between sheets of 1/4" durarock or similar and heat it that way. I did that before I got the blankets.

It's called a flame spreder.....

Here it is-$7 @ local Hdwe store. No, I have used, it--but, it I ever need one.....

DSCN0509.JPG
    David