Thread: Square Turning.... first attempt

Square Turning.... first attempt

I have seen square turnings online and in books but had never tried it. These are my first attempts. Started with a flat bowl then decided to try some turned down ones and then a turned up one. I realize that these are probably quite "run of the mill" for most of you guys but I just wanted to see if I could do it. Most nerve wracking part for me was the turned down corners as during the "tick... tick...tick" of the tool on the wood I was waiting for the time I would be a little too aggressive and tear them off!!!... but I got through them ok and was happy with the results..
    CAM00130.jpgCAM00208.jpgCAM00207.jpgCAM00151.jpgCAM00209.jpg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

great work for first attempts!

one recommendation - work on getting a consistent wall thickness on the square edge of your bowls. It adds to the visual appeal

When turning square, speed helps. The less time spent 'cutting air' the less likely the tip will move in and have a catch. This is REALLY a case of 'glide on the bevel' as opposed to 'ride the bevel'. Pressure is not lateral to the direction of the cut.

It is important in winged turning to stop and check progress regularly to insure even wall thickness through out the cut. These are usually 'white knuckle' experiences, but one needs to relax and 'let the wood come to the gouge' as the saying goes.

The third one is by far my favorite. It would be even more eye catching WITHOUT the defined rim, but rather with a smooth curve from the inside to the outside. The straight grain really works with that.

With six under your belt you are well toward mastering the design!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Certainly not "run of the mill" in my opinion.
    Very nicely done, they are very pleasing to the eye.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

I agree that it is certainly NOT "run of the mill". Nice job on the laminated winged bowl! That is an inspiration. Think I'll do that. I have a rather plain maple block.

Nicely done Barry. Great to see exercises like this and you made some nice variations. I'm inspired to try myself!

Doug

Very well done--no beginner work here for sure.

Thanks everyone for the comments ...really appreciated.... and thanks Shawn and Thom for the tips as well...I will work on uniform thickness on the sides of the next one and I hadn't thought of eliminating the defined edge of the bowl but I think it's a great idea for the next one as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    …These are usually 'white knuckle' experiences, …
    For me it was a 'red knuckle' experience
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

You did a real fine job on these Barry. Thanks for sharing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    For me it was a 'red knuckle' experience
    Yeah, my first attempt at a square turning was in Jimmy Clewes shop and it turned into a red knuckle experience as well. Ouch!!!
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Thanks David for looking and commenting...