Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watchful Pi....I mean Eye.....

Watchful Pi....I mean Eye.....

Put this system in place after a recent scare. Now we can watch what's happening from anywhere in the room. The HDTV is on a swivel bracket so you can rotate it 180 degrees to see it from anywhere in the room.

It's done with a Raspberry Pi and Pi Camera, displaying in real time to the HDTV.

It's been running for about a week and so far, I'm really happy with it. The focal length is a little small so it clips off part of the table, but overall, I think it'll do what we want, and that's just to make sure we don't get caught not paying close attention. It's also providing some fascinating video of cutting. If you wanted to, you could have the Raspberry Pi record the video, but we're currently just streaming it, not recording it. The next step is to put a couple of temperature sensors inside the system and have that displayed on the same screen, along with alarms setup when temps are exceeded.

Maybe it'll spark someone's thoughts to do something better than we did.

Change the settings to HD to get a better video of it all.

Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Really cool Steve! I get memorized watching my engraver, throwing it up on a big screen is perfect.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Scott, how is your laser so quiet? I realize there must be some noise cancelling happening in your video (or maybe the device you're filming with doesn't pick up on the higher frequency sounds of the laser cutting). However, the cooling fan on my 80w tube sounds as loud as a shop vac.
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.

Would it not give you a better picture of what the laser is precisely doing if you mounted the camera directly to the laser head itself?

Well done...great use of a RasPi.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    Would it not give you a better picture of what the laser is precisely doing if you mounted the camera directly to the laser head itself?

Well done...great use of a RasPi.
    Already done that about a year ago. Vectoring works great, rastering gives you vertigo while watching

Ron, I don't know, I just push start and go with it. The frequency will make different sounds for sure. Low frequencies make more noise.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Rankin Inlet, Nunavut Territory, Canada (amongs the Inuit)
    That's a great idea. The only thing that I would want to change, perhaps, is the angle of the camera so that I would be looking slightly down onto the work, and not across it. But that's me. Thanks for the idea, sir.
    Paul Williams
    Epilog Zing 30watt with CorelDRAW X5, Gravograph M40 Deep Vice with Gravostyle 7, a lot of interest, not a lot of imagination, and a serious shortfall of knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams from Nunavut View Post
    That's a great idea. The only thing that I would want to change, perhaps, is the angle of the camera so that I would be looking slightly down onto the work, and not across it. But that's me. Thanks for the idea, sir.
    I'm still working on the angle Paul. I'm not thrilled with it now, but there's a magnetic switch right above it where I want to be. I originally started outside the laser, above it, looking down on the entire table, but there's a light fixture above the laser and the reflection of that on the lid makes it useless. So I kept moving it around more and more and it ended up inside the machine It really has shown some amazing video, especially when cutting 1/2" thick acrylic. You can see under the work and above the work and see when flare ups are happening under the work. It's very cool to watch.

I'll figure the ideal spot out as time goes on.

Really nice Steve! What was the scare you speak of?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Really nice Steve! What was the scare you speak of?
    A fire. Toasted my tables, but didn't mess with the motion control system. And we watch over it like a hawk.

Did you install the Raspberry Pi inside the laser too?

Are you running a script?

The Pi is outside the laser, with the cable for the camera running inside the laser through and access hole. Not running any script, it's just : raspivid -t -0 and that's it

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    The Pi is outside the laser, with the cable for the camera running inside the laser through and access hole. Not running any script, it's just : raspivid -t -0 and that's it
    Very cool -- thanks.

Yes, very cool Scott... Is that a hardwired video stream or wireless? The picture quality looks really good, so I'm assuming it's hardwired.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Hardwired Don. I have a 3m long cable that runs through the laser (it's a flat ribbon cable), that runs to the back of the machine, where the Pi is mounted. Then a long HDMI cable to go from that to the monitor. It is really, really clear. We went with 32" so it could be seen. I have opened a door that's about 10 feet away, and run our CNC router, which is about 25 feet from that door, and turned the monitor in that direction and I can stand at our router and see the laser running on the monitor. I don't normally do that, but I had a long running, non-fire hazard job that was on a tight deadline. I could see it finish up, pop up there, change parts, hit start, go back to running the router.

Scott - I'm not real familiar with the Raspberry Pi. You just hook the Pi camera to the Pi, an HDMI cable between the Pi and TV, and it's good to go?

Could this be made to work to display video from three cameras on one TV, all at the same time??? I could certainly make use of something like that!

I'm comfortable with electronics, but coding is way above my head...
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special