Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowes experience

Lowes experience

So I'm down in Maryland helping my son with a Murphy bed project. We go to the closest lumber yard "84" and check out their plywood. Priced OK but they don't offer panel saw cuts to break down the full sheets. Off to Lowes. Prices slightly less than 84. Load the cart and wheel over to the cutting station. First couple of sheets break down just fine. 24 inches, 32 inches, etc. Last 2 sheets need to be ripped at 31 3/8. Operator takes long hard look at tape measure and then asks how to find the 3/8 mark.

Well, at least I know if I have to come out of retirement someday, I can always work at Lowes!

PS Murphy bed came out OK!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Blog Entries
    Well, at least I know if I have to come out of retirement someday, I can always work at Lowes!
    Maybe some of us old retirees would do the world a favor by coming out of retirement as teachers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Operator takes long hard look at tape measure and then asks how to find the 3/8 mark.

!
    That's pretty sad.
    I had problems in school with fractions when I was a kid. My dad got me a job in a furniture Mfg. for a summer job when I was 16. One of the requirements for the job was knowing how to read a tape measure and a set of calipers. All of a sudden it clicked, reading a rule is fractions!! I learned more that summer about math than I did in 10 years of school.

I would have said, "Right next to the 7/16" mark!"

However, I'll give kudos to the kid for asking so as to cut things correctly.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My 16 y.o. grandson can't read a map. I have told adults jokes with famous people as the butt of the joke and they have never heard of them. But then again I see and hear about stars and I have no idea who they are.
    I can't read a map either, unless I use a magnifier.

Hmm, at my local HD, I had some plywood cut down last year, they had a posted policy that their cuts can be +/- 1/8".

Now maybe I understand why...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

When I worked for a ceiling company the bosses sons would help out doing the cuts for us we would call down 11 and 5 meaning 11 5/8 and they would call back how many marks is that.

Blog Entries
    At least he asked before making the cut and sending you home with the wrong dimensioned piece.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    My wife Is a college professor and has students come to her class that don't know how to read a ruler or add simple fractions like 1/4 + 1/8.

I always get them cut oversized just to get them home and then saw them properly. It is a lot less hassle.

68% of registered US voters can't find Belgium on a standard globe.

My wife worked in grocery store and some of the young kids that were cashiering could not make change if the register didn't tell them how much to give to the customer.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    My wife worked in grocery store and some of the young kids that were cashiering could not make change if the register didn't tell them how much to give to the customer.
    It's not just kids. I still run into adults that can't make change at stores! It seems few people teach their employees to hand the customer the coins first, then the paper. That way, you can accurately count up the money, as well as the customer can easily close their hand over the change without creating a funnel and spilling their coins all over.

As for the Lowe's employee ... I give the employee a gold star for having the courage to ask how to do it and caring enough to want to do it right.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I design huge industrial facilities for a living and our project administrators practically beg us to not use fractions less than 1/2", 1/4" if absolutely necessary. And the workers are described as "trained craftsman".

You can find somebody at Lowes to help you? Hardly the standard "uppa heya".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    ...Last 2 sheets need to be ripped at 31 3/8. Operator takes long hard look at tape measure and then asks how to find the 3/8 mark.
    Thank goodness you were able to find someone else there who could help!