Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused as to which lathe to buy!

I've had the Nova 1624 about six years and it has done all that I have needed. Typically for spindle orientation I never change speeds; for bowl orientation I normally change once (twice in a blue moon). Moving the belt is not an issue for me but I understand the convenience of electronic speed. I also rotate the head out to about 22.5* on any bowl interior.
    I also have the Comet2 (purchased for my daughter). As someone else stated it will not handle a 12" out of balance piece but with smaller pieces (8-9") it seems to do well and never had a problem with spindle orientation. IIRC it is 5.6 amp and 3/4 HP.
    I am sure the Jet 1221 is nice and it is heavier. I would like to try one as I have never used a tool rated over 100% efficient.

If you are interested, the Comet2 with a free G3 chuck for $479. Of course you can get it without the chuck for only $5 more.
    http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes.html
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

it might be worth it to you to wait to see how people like the grizzly g0766,it is in your price ballpark. It should be around 30 days before some have a good idea how it is.

It's funny you say that because I was looking at that and it seems to have everything I could ever want in a lathe. I truly thought this would be easier!

With all the talk of bad motors in the Jet 1642 thread, I think I would stay clear of Jet/PM. I also think waiting for Roger's review of the G0766 in a couple weeks is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cognato View Post
    Thanks guys, it helps to hear from those who do this stuff every day. I have been leaning lately towards the Delta 46-460 with an ext. bed. That may leave me some money for tools and sharpening equipment, which is the next tool I would love advice on. Tony
    Tony, I'm about to put my 46-460 with bed extension on sale because I've outgrown it. My advice is decide what the largest lathe you'll need, then buy at least one size bigger. My next lathe will be my last lathe (I hope). But it will be as big as I have space and wallet for.

I don't know where you are located, but if it is within a days drive of Lubbock TX, there is some old iron (PM 90 and Oliver) at auction there. The current prices are < $200. See Rene Bates if interested.

I wish! I am about 30 minutes north of Boston, MA. Space is no issue for me. I would love to buy the be all/end all lathe in the first shot but unfortunately there are too many other matters requiring monetary distribution. Do not know too much about the Grizzlies but it seems like good advice to wait out the new model reviews. If I could get a decent midi for right price to hold me over... hmmmm.

Well, the AAW Symposium is in Pittsburgh in a little over a month. It doesn't cost to go into the vendor area, and there are plenty of demos there. The variable speed is an accessory that once you have it, you can never do without it. Many lathes come with 3 phase motors and a handy converter. Some have brushless DC motors. The Nova DVR is a whole different set up. Do find the nearest club and check it out. Most clubs have mentors to help you spend your money and help you past some learning curves. Some do group buys of tools and supplies for discounts.

robo hippy

Hey Tony, any less confused yet??? I'm not, and I read all of the replies.
    Len

You nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Hey Tony, any less confused yet??? I'm not, and I read all of the replies.
    Len

Tony,

I think you may have answered the most important question in your original post, which is about spindle work vs bowl work. If you're making mostly parts for furniture projects then you're doing mostly spindle and small faceplate work which can be accomplished on an entry level machine. Some others have mentioned looking at some old iron which is the route I took. I may be in the minority of folks in that I didn't feel compelled to get into bowl work immediately, although I do like it very much, I just knew that making furniture parts was my first priority as I was developing my craft, knowing that bowl work was still very much in my future.

Now here's the caveat, buy the best quality accessories that you can afford from the start. While your first lathe may get pushed to the corner someday for a bigger unit, the tooling, chucks, sharpening gear, all that stuff will have served you from day one and you won't feel the need to upgrade those. You may even find that you continue to use your smaller lathe, I certainly do.

Yes, electronic variable speed is a sweet deal but I really don't mind making belt changes, turning is a very cathartic activity for me, time seems to go by so quickly when I'm turning.

My first lathe wound up being an older Atlas with a 12" swing and maybe 40" between centers, the only down side was an oddball spindle size but adapters are available to get around most problems. I think I may have paid around $200 for it.

I would just encourage you to find something to start turning on now and begin enjoying the craft until such time as you know what you desire in your next lathe and can afford to upgrade.

David

I have a Jet `1221vs. It cost $780 w/o a stand which I made. I didn't know that the faceplate came attached with set screws and I ruined a spindle trying to get it off. My bad for not reading the manual first, but I had never had a faceplate with set screws before. Jet customer service was great and replaced the spindle for no cost and answered all of my questions from the plant in Tennessee via email. The motor has always made a little noise-even before I messed up the spindle. I have restricted space so a midi lathe was what I had to get. The Jet 1221vs is okay, but even with the added cost, I wish I would have got a more powerful midi.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

There are a lot of good comments here so I'll add something a little different. My advice is to buy used. Look at as many options as you can, join a club and try out as many as you can, decide on some that will do the job and then look and be patient. Woodturning is an old guys activity and old guys lose interest or die off so there are always good used lathes on the market. I bought an eight month old Powermatic 3520B for $1800 about six years ago and could probably get close to that now if I sold it. Patience!
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

The club may be the way to go. I actually have been looking for used but am very limited by local Craig's List and lack of shipping from Ebay sellers.Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BILL DONAHUE View Post
    There are a lot of good comments here so I'll add something a little different. My advice is to buy used. Look at as many options as you can, join a club and try out as many as you can, decide on some that will do the job and then look and be patient. Woodturning is an old guys activity and old guys lose interest or die off so there are always good used lathes on the market. I bought an eight month old Powermatic 3520B for $1800 about six years ago and could probably get close to that now if I sold it. Patience!

Shipping is an issue for me also. I sold a jet 1642 years ago and had to meet the buyer half way which was a 200mi drive round trip. My 1221vs was delivered via UPS after Amazon told me it would be shipped via commercial carrier. There was no visual damage, but there is the slight motor noise. If I buy another one, I'll drive 400mi RT to Sacramento to pick it up and open the box at the store to check for damage. Lathes are heavy so be careful loading and unloading. Better to have helper(s), if you can.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith