Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench... finally done!

Workbench... finally done!

Well, it has been a couple of years in the making; mostly a few minutes at night every now and then, but it's finally done! I did a lot of the dimensioning of the top by hand, except for the initial ripping (circular saw) and for using the planer for thicknessing. For the base I cheated and used a J/P combo (I really wanted to speed some things up so I could move on to other projects). And a bandsaw was also involved at some points... and.. oh well.. the point is that I did use and learn a lot about hand planes, chisels and handsaws. Mike Allen: Your saws were used extensively in this project ... you made me a convert!

The last step was flattening the top with my LV BU jack and a #8, which was a breeze (took me perhaps 60 minutes, but no complications; so that qualifies as a breeze in my book). I based the build on C.S. plans ("The Workbench Book"), and took a ton of advice from this forum, either indirectly from others' build threads or from some questions I posted here that many of you answered very generously. So thanks!

It's mostly soft maple, except the last lamination in the front (which sandwiches the dog holes and takes the most abuse), the end cap and the leg chop, which are hard maple. And the shelf is just construction douglas fir. It's a little shy of 7' long and 24" wide. The height something around 34" or 35" I think ... I didn't really measure, after all that hand-planing and sawing and mortising on various surfaces, I had a good feeling of what felt right to me and acted accordingly when cutting the legs. The hardware is Benchcrafted, which is a splurge, I know, but if I am going to be making a project a year, I rather indulge in stuff that works wonderfully (and this really does), and is nice to look at!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 05-13-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Fantastic looking bench! Congratulations on the completion.

Blog Entries
    Well, it has been a couple of years in the making; ...

and is nice to look at!
    Very nice to look at.

Makes me feel a bit of embarrassment. Mine has be a few more years in the making. It seems something else keeps coming up every time some of my bench wood is set upon to work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice work on this project. I'm curious though about the long cantilevered end and if that is going to be a problem over time due to lack of support? Did it need to be that way because of the wagon vice design or was there some other reason for doing it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Very nice work on this project. I'm curious though about the long cantilevered end and if that is going to be a problem over time due to lack of support? Did it need to be that way because of the wagon vice design or was there some other reason for doing it that way?
    Thanks!

It was mostly due to the wagon vise design. I also wanted to have a dog hole very close to the end of vise, but was too lazy to dig a dog-hole (square) on top of a leg. Had I done that, I would have been able to move the leg perhaps 4" inches closer. The other option would have been to move the dog holes farther from the front, so I could place the leg anywhere without interfering with the vise travel, but I didn't want to do so, because it would make some operations (like using a plow plane, or making mouldings -some day!- harder) In addition, I would have liked a little more symmetry on the other side, but I can't fit a bench longer than 7' in the shop and moving the other leg closer in would have looked odd (and made the shelf space too narrow).

I am betting lack of support won't be a problem. The top is thick (4") and very stiff, so the 18" or so of overhang shouldn't be a problem with support (I think). Everything is also very heavy, and the bench stays perfectly put when doing heavy planning, for instance. Also, I have tried to tip it by leaning on the cantilevered side and you have to put all your weight and some to so so, so I don't think tipping will be a problem either, unless I decide to put an engine on the unsupported side. I guess time will tell!
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 05-13-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Beautifully executed! You will smile every time you walk up to work on it.

Nice work. I'm finishing up my build. I just have to complete the dead-man and shelf. Now, I understand why finished benches are so expensive.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    Nice work. I'm finishing up my build. I just have to complete the dead-man and shelf. Now, I understand why finished benches are so expensive.
    Me, too (just finishing a bench, that is). I just shaped the chop last night. Augusto, very nice bench! I would love to have used all soft maple like you did, and I think the result is beautiful.

Sure looks like she was well worth the time, treasure and effort you put into it! Congratulations!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Very nice work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Very noce bench! I am jealous.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

12. Nice work! I like it.

Good work!!!!

Great job! Knowing your super analytical nature, do you have a weight estimate on the bench?

Augusto,

Beautiful bench! I hope to build one as nice some day, but it probably won't be as nice as yours.

Stew