Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench... finally done!

Very Nice!
    Now the trick is to get your next project on there before it turns into a temporary storage surface.

Also, recommend getting a large rectangular trash can to fit in on the left side. (easy to brush your debris off the end of the bench; I like this better than vac, especially for plane shavings)

Matt

Lovely job. I'm jealous - i've been putting mine off for a several years as other shop set up tasks took priority - i just knew that if i touched it that the other stuff (dust system, machine set ups etc) wouldn't get done. It's finally under way....

Thanks everyone. After a couple of hours at the bench, It's really a joy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Karavite View Post
    Great job! Knowing your super analytical nature, do you have a weight estimate on the bench?
    Dean, I estimate between 320lb and 350lbs, including both vises.

Makes my old bench look ratty.

When you finish a project, don't you look back with some nostalgia with all the fun it was?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

You are one lucky bench owner/builder !!! I'd award you a "You suck" but I'm speechless.

Congrats and looks great. I was reminded this weekend how much of a game changer a good bench is (I finished a roubo 1.5 years ago and approaching the date where i've had it finished longer than i was building it ). Had a friend who need a minor mod to a door and what would have been 10-20 minutes of fiddling was reduce to seconds.

Look forward to seeing the projects as they come off the bench.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

WOW! Beautiful work!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely beautiful and clearly well executed my friend!! I'm sure you and future generations will enjoying your bench everytime you use it! Thanks for positng the pic. If I had a bench that nice I would be tempted to put it in the house!

FWIW, I think putting the dog holes closer to the edge of bench surface does make plowing and moldings etc easier.

I look forward to seeing the work you'll do and some pictures with a few saw marks, chisel gouges, finish spills etc.

Cheers, Mike

Benches are great, aren't they? There's something visceral about large well worked chunks of wood...

Excellent Bench. I still have to make my sliding deadman. It looks like you have a great little nook to keep it in. My guess is that soon you will want more storage along that back wall to keep your most popular hand tools close at hand.

Augusto, are you using the Bench Crafted criss-cross on the leg vise? I noticed that your front stretchers are draw-bored. I ran into an issue with the front stretcher. I had to make it thicker and locate the tenon further back. Also, I didn't like the idea of draw-boring through the entire leg, so I draw-bored that front stretcher from the rear.

Design details here: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2015/01...to-the-rescue/

Drawboring modification here: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2015/05...ring-the-base/
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments !

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    Augusto, are you using the Bench Crafted criss-cross on the leg vise? I noticed that your front stretchers are draw-bored. I ran into an issue with the front stretcher. I had to make it thicker and locate the tenon further back. Also, I didn't like the idea of draw-boring through the entire leg, so I draw-bored that front stretcher from the rear.

Design details here: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2015/01...to-the-rescue/

Drawboring modification here: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2015/05...ring-the-base/
    yes, I am using the cries cross. The legs are 5.5x5.5 inches, and the stretchers about 3.75 (out of two laminations). With those dimensions, it was pretty easy to fit anything without interference, including the crisscross mortise.

Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the nice comments !

yes, I am using the cries cross. The legs are 5.5x5.5 inches, and the stretchers about 3.75 (out of two laminations). With those dimensions, it was pretty easy to fit anything without interference, including the crisscross mortise.
    Cool, thanks. Sounds very similar to my setup.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust