Thread: new guy

new guy

Hi all, new guy here, making the infamous introductory first post. Fairly new to wood working outside of basic property work (fences, trim, barn, etc). But I have a paint and leatherwork background and have been making basic framework for some various projects like custom cut mirrors with leather wrapping and such.
    Anyway, I'm looking make the transition to sourcing my own wood, which is a lot of information to wrap my head around. I planned to continue to learn a bit before I actually went as far as drying my own wood but as fate wood have it a buddy just trimmed back a huge black walnut tree and I just can't justify some of these 30" diameter rounds going through the splitter. Unfortunately most of it was cut into manageable splitter lengths, but I think some live edge end tables would be pretty cool. I'm pretty efficient with the search function and have been reading up on stickering , stacking, ans drying. Without beating a dead horse with drying questions, do I have to seal the edges to avoid checking regardless of there being a fresh cut vs the natural form of the wood? Outside of making a few small arms grips, a couple bar stool seats, and maybe an end table or two I don't know if I'm gonna even attempt to do anything with it. It was cut 4 days ago so I know I need to get it cut and prepped as soon as possible. My plan is to it it into some 1 1/4- 2" rounds, get it off the ground and level on some pressure treated redwood I have laying around, cover it with some weight on top, put it in my shop and forget about it for at least a year or until I get moisture meter and go from there. Is this acceptable? Any other recos? Sorry for the long intro/newb post.

Thanks for the time and info!

Welcome to the Creek Jeff!

I am sure others with experience in handling green wood will chime in shortly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glad to have you with us. Keep the posts coming.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Welcome Jeff, you will enjoy the forum and a lot can be learned here....

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Welcome to the forum.

Red
    RED

Welcome Jeff! Glad you've joined us. I too will defer to my betters on drying your wood. So at least a few of us may learn something new as a result of your very first post here, and that's especially cool IMO.

Check our archives if you haven't already.

You might want to also checkout the Neanderthal Haven here on SMC. We do hand tools there. Interesting how much woodworking you can do with a combination of power tools and hand tools. There are at least a couple machines/power tools I might not have bought if I'd learned that earlier!

Anyway, welcome!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Welcome Jeff, you are at the edge of a slippery slope if you are looking at firewood as potential furniture.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks all! Good to be here, figured I might as well join up as a lot of my machine of knowledge searching leads me here anyway. Gonna take look around the the neanderthal section today

Hey, Jeff. Welcome.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.