Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A clever quick way to make drawer boxes

A clever quick way to make drawer boxes

Have a look at this video. An interesting invention:

Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-13-2015 at 7:01 PM.

It's basically 2 plywood butt joints per corner.....don't think it would last long.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Neat idea but I agree with Scott, strength / longevity are my concerns.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Very cool. While it is essentially a butt joint, it does have a bit more surface area for glue than a butt joint. I like it. I wouldn't buy it but it is a clever idea and doggone it, it is wickedly sweet folding up plywood and viola, a drawer box!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

It is very clever. Heck, if you have strength concerns, seems like it would be pretty easy to put together a doweling jig that would increase the strength substantially. That said, I seem to recall someone around here who build a gazillion shop drawers and they were all butt-jointed together. I think maybe he even was an author of a book about shop cabinets? He claimed he didn't have any failures for shop use.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Hmm, interesting concept and definitely stronger than the melamine drawers you'll find in many kitchens nowadays. But I personally prefer box joints or through dovetails.

It is interesting, the milled cuts remind me a little of the miter lock router bit pattern that is discussed so often. Not sure he will ever profit much from the patent.
    Last edited by julian abram; 05-13-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    It is very clever. Heck, if you have strength concerns, seems like it would be pretty easy to put together a doweling jig that would increase the strength substantially. That said, I seem to recall someone around here who build a gazillion shop drawers and they were all butt-jointed together. I think maybe he even was an author of a book about shop cabinets? He claimed he didn't have any failures for shop use.
    Your memory is correct. I built three shop cabinets based on his book. Total of 20 drawers. no failure yet.
    Cheers,

Tim

8:00 in he performs destructive testing.
    It's quite strong. It would be stronger if the bias of the plies were held constant, but that would come at a cost to time and would result in more waste. It's clever.

As said, he addressed strength concerns and even said something along the lines of "now I know someone will mention strength concerns..." Well you guys sure did!

I think it's very clever and could be a great product. Tough thing will be that ever dado set out there is probably just a bit different diameter so you'd have to buy a matched set i think.

Great idea and some very innovative thinking.

very clever and I applaud for effort and sharing with us.
    Ed.

OK, I will be the first to say, I would buy it. I currently make all my drawers with through dove tails and like the look, but they take time and the glue is a bit messy. The part I don't like is that you end up with 1/2" bottoms and I prefer 1/4" but what the heck. If I could make the drawers in 25% of the time, I would give it a try.

If you want thinner bottoms, just do as he demonstrates near end of video to make boxes. Cut a 1/4" grove in side material, use his tool to cut the "folds" for the sides, insert a piece of 1/4 material into grove and fold/glue around it.

Someone sent this to me yesterday and I have to give the guy his due for creativity as it is a really cool idea and watching him fold them up was really cool. I am not a fan of plywood drawers for things like kitchens but for shop / utility drawers it looks like a really handy system.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I will have to agree, that is really neat and I can see if you were making a lot of drawers that would sure help.

I was thinking why couldn't you make blades that shape for a molding head cutter on the table saw. I have never used one but I have seen them and it looks like it would work, I think. Maybe that would be to much wood to take out in one pass, but there is no reason you couldn't do 2 passes.