Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you think you can ride a bicycle?

So you think you can ride a bicycle?

Those of us who become deaf and then are implanted with a cochlear implant (CI) learn to hear with it at different paces. Why? Neuroplasticity, IMO.

There are two big emotional arguments within the deaf community. Should someone receive a CI? Should and when should child be implanted with a CI?

This link, though not related to hearing with a cochlear implant, demonstrates that we all learn different things at different rates due to differences within our brains. It's called neuroplasticity, part of what makes us individuals!

Check it out: http://videos.komando.com/watch/7847/kims-picks-you-think-you-can-ride-this-bike-but-you-really-cant?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=tvkim&utm_content=20 15-04-30-article-screen-shot-f
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-15-2015 at 12:30 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very interesting! I remember as a kid, when I learned to ride a bike, it "clicked". I went from being unable to keep my balance to riding without wobbling in just a few minutes.

John

That is excellent, Ken. I can see the link to the CI issues you have dealt with.

Very thought-provoking video. Thanks for posting.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Very interesting! I remember as a kid, when I learned to ride a bike, it "clicked". I went from being unable to keep my balance to riding without wobbling in just a few minutes.

John
    Sorta' like that year I did some snowboarding. One minute, I could only stay up for a few seconds and fall on my butt. And then all of a sudden, something clicked and I was able to stay up for a few seconds and fall flat on my face, putting me a full six feet closer to the mulled red wine at the bottom of the stupid hill.

Love the video. Challenges of relearning an old concept. I would just love to try the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    Love the video. Challenges of relearning an old concept. I would just love to try the bike.
    Matt - we would all just love to see the video.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Matt - we would all just love to see the video.
    I'd supply the popcorn and the beer!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've been watching that guy for years. He has a youtube channel called "Smarter every day" and it does incredible experiments with super high speed cameras. It's been great to see him grow over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/destinws2
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

You can simulate this yourself (be extremely careful) by crossing your arms on a non-modified bicycle. WARNING: You will fall and possibly injure yourself.

Having someone hold you up on the bike can be helpful if you really want to try this.

Never tell someone to try crossing arms to see if they can do it. They can't. I've witnessed people trying to play this practical joke on others, but it can honestly result in serious injury, so I always become the party pooper.

Terrific video, BTW, thanks for sharing that, Ken.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 05-15-2015 at 9:36 AM.

Fascinating stuff.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Hmmm-- reminds me of learning to back up my trailer.

It would be interesting to see if there is a subset of alternately wired people who can do it. I have severe right/left dyslexia (for want of a better term), which drives my navigator insane when we're driving (or canoeing). On the up side when I go to England I just hop into the other side of the car and drive on the other side of the road, without a second thought, while my right/left enabled navigator has to keep her eyes closed the whole time and is paralyzed in confusion if asked to drive.

I'm pretty sure I could ride that bike!!! LOL!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    I would just love to try the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'm pretty sure I could ride that bike!!! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I'd supply the popcorn and the beer!

Ken - now we got us a two-horse race in the works!!

You handle the popcorn and beer, I'll handle the tote board - we just need someone to sell the tickets and we are good to go!!!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing this, Ken. I've been reading about neural plasticity recently, so for me this is very well timed. I am red/green color deficient. There are glasses available to help with this. The excerpt below is part of the instructions for use. Hopefully I have an appropriately plastic brain!
    "To ensure optimal effectiveness, wear the lens for at least 10 hours in a variety of situations over the course of 1-2 weeks. Depending on the rate of neural plasticity in the user, a significant amount of time may be required for the visual cortex to respond to the new information. Best results are obtained in strong daylight and in colorful settings, such as a botanical garden or an outdoor event."

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Hmmm-- reminds me of learning to back up my trailer.
    My Dad forced me as a kid to learn to back up a trailer with mirrors only. I really got to show off that skill when I joined the Navy and had to push planes into parking spots that had a double swivel tow bar.

Excellent video, Ken. Thanks! I'm gonna have to subscribe to that guy's channel.
    -Lud