Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dowl-it doweling jig

Dowl-it doweling jig

With all the talk of the higher priced dowel jigs, I was just wondering if anyone uses a Dowl-it self centering doweling jig. They have been around for years, but I have never heard anyone mentioning if they are very accurate. I see they have brought out a new model that takes four drill bushings of the same size, and several sizes of bushings available.

Rick
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The centering action doesn't tend to work very precisely, there is some wobble on that middle block. This can lead to slight misalignment of faces.

The spacing of the holes also needs to accommodate the screw and bars going through the center block, so that is kinda goofy, too.

Nonetheless, I own one and use it quite often when I am drilling holes for cross-dowels.

Hi Phil,

Don't want to change the subject of my own posting, but.......since you brought up cross dowels, have you seen the Woodpecker jig for drilling cross dowels. Simple, but neat. Happened on it while looking for a video of the Dowl-it jig.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I've had a Dowel-it for 20 years. It's bulkier than the current jugs, but it is dead on accurate.

I've tried the Dowl-It. It's fine for what it is. If your only option was the Dowelmax, I'd say it's a reasonable alternative.
    However, the Jessem (original) jig is between $130-150 depending. For that, you get a lot more added versatility.

If it were me, and I wanted a budget dowel jig, I'd get the Rockler one and retrofit it like Phil Thien did.

I have a Dowel-it jig. Works great.
    It is adjustable to bring the holes to one side or dead on center, and also to tighten it up. You just have to inspect it a little to find the adjuster.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have a Dowel-it jig. Works great.
    It is adjustable to bring the holes to one side or dead on center, and also to tighten it up. You just have to inspect it a little to find the adjuster.
    Yeah, but the problem is, when you tighten the jig, you can wiggle that middle block back and forth with your fingers. Not much, but any misalignment can turn become 2x when parts are assembled.

I've had a few self-centering doweling jigs over my 35+ years of woodworking. They have their place. But they are nowhere near as accurate as the jigs aligning off a single face.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Yeah, but the problem is, when you tighten the jig, you can wiggle that middle block back and forth with your fingers. Not much, but any misalignment can turn become 2x when parts are assembled.

I've had a few self-centering doweling jigs over my 35+ years of woodworking. They have their place. But they are nowhere near as accurate as the jigs aligning off a single face.
    I had the Dowel-it as the tool I used when I did my first glue-ups. I could not get dead-nuts alignment. I have no reason to exclude pilot error as the reason, but the variations were something I could not overcome.

The big joke - then I went to a PC plate joiner. THAT worked well............

Then - I just decided I would learn to execute M&T joints - that did work out, eventually, after I figured it out.

Sold the Dowel-It. Sold the plate joiner............

But I gotta admit - I like the looks of the Jessum - newer model.........I can definitely see value for big-time stuff, like doors.....I love the stuff Mreza did for his stunning house.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Nice to finally see what you really look like, Kent.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Used to, Rick - photo taken not quite 3 years ago - on my way to get my first haircut in 4 years...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    That explains a lot of Kent's posts.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use a Dowel Max. It is much more expensive but it is far superior in my opinion. For one thing, I almost never want to center the dowels instead of registering them to one surface or a precision offset. Very often, I use dowels to join materials of different thicknesses together - for example a table leg to an apron piece. You can't do that precisely with a self centering jig. Even if I am building cabinet frames, I want to register off of one surface of both pieces rather than selecting the center of the edge of each. That way, the front facing is flush and needs no sanding even if the rail and stile are of slightly different thicknesses. it is even more important to register a table top off the up facing surfaces of the boards. Also, using the self centering jig, it is very difficult to drill a row of holes at a precision spacing. There will usually be one or two in a long row that weren't drilled in the right place and need some kind of re-drilling operation. With the Dowelmax, you can easily drill a long series of dowel hole in an edge at whatever spacing you desire and every hole will be in exactly the right place with no measuring. I have tried the self centering jigs, as well as several other kinds and none of them were satisfactory on a continuous basis. I almost gave up on dowels until I descovered the Dowelmax. It is not just a doweling jig. It is a joinery jig that is the functional equivalent of the Festool Domino.

It is just very hard to swallow the price when you can get lesser jigs for $20 or $30.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 05-15-2015 at 7:11 PM.

I think both Jessem jigs have major advantages over the Dowel Max, and that is eliminating the need for shims. Both of the Jessem units can be set to different edge to center (of dowel) distances using built-in racks. The Paralign has a built-in clamp, too. While the less expensive Jessem eliminates the clamp, it has a nice assortment of dowel hole sizes that it supports. I believe the Jessem stuff is made in Canada and the Dowel Max is made in China now.

Thanks guys,

I kind of 'inherited' a Dowl-Max some time back, but have never tried it out. Rarely used dowels. Recently I have been rethinking dowels, and thought I would ask, before I waste a lot of time playing with it. I have a Rockler, but had trouble having it slip. Nice to read about Phils experience, and I may just play with the Rockler a little more, before spending the big bucks for one, I probably won't use that much.

Most of what I have been doing lately is cabinet type stuff, and I use a Kreg jig, and T&G. I was thinking dowels may be a nice addition to just the glue line on my cope and stick door fronts.

Thanks again,
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Well if you already have a Dowel-Max, by all means give it a try. My comments were really directed towards people evaluating for a new purchase. In that case, I'd push a Jessem. But seeing as you already have the Dowel-Max, I don't see any reason not to use it.