Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my Band Saw - PLEASE help me decide!

Upgrading my Band Saw - PLEASE help me decide!

It's the classic connundrum, and been covered many times, I know, but I still need help. (Or just a forum for venting my thoughts. ) If someone has the time, PLEASE share any thoughts at all.

I have to decide basically RIGHT NOW between a 21" Grizzly and a 1960 Yates American J-120. (The Yates has sealed bearings and is in perfect condition.) I'd love to know which you'd pick. My decision has nothing to do with "big old American arn" and I have nothing at all against modern imports.

The machine I get will be used only for re-sawing and some ripping of smalls stock. I just picked up a little 12" for curves and such. The Grizzly has a 5 HP import motor, and the Yates has a 3 HP Baldor. For my hobbyist use, either should be fine.

The Yates has no fence. Once I add a Laguna Driftmaster, plus a quality magnetic starter, it will cost me about $300 less than the Grizzly. - Not enough difference to sway my decision.

Both machines have beefy frames. The Yates is about 50 lbs heavier, but that's probably due to its cast base, which adds nothing to the frame's rigidity. Both machines probably can tension their maximum blade thicknesses just fine. - though with the Yates I'm sure of this, with the Grizzly I SUPPOSE it might be something to consider.
    =================================

Here are the important (to me) differences:

.............. YATES:..........GRIZZLY:
    ----------------------------------------
    Wheels:..... Alu ............... CI

re-saw: .... 12” - 13.5” .. 14.25”

blades: .. Up to 1” .... 1/4” - 1-3/8”

TABLE: ... 24” X 24” ... 20.75 X 29.5”

Fence:... Driftmaster .... Nice Aluminum - but no adjustment for blade lead.

BRAKE: ...Foot (drum) ....... Magnetic

## OTHER: The Grizzly has a tension quick-release, which is a really big deal for me. it also has a tension read-out, but I think that can be retrofitted to the Yates, if really needed, and there are other ways to test for tension.

Other: The grizzly is 5 miles away, the Yates is 250 miles. I don't mind the drive, but I can't bring anyone with me to get the Yates, and the seller is an old man. Not sure what to do about that.
    =======================

And so:

Table Size: Firmly favors the Yates. I don't care about lots of throat (where the grizzly excels) but I do want lots of support as I feed stock trough the blade. Even the Yates' 24" seems short, but the Grizzly's 20.75" has me wondering what those designers were thinking.

Wheels: Balanced CI should be nicer than cast aluminum, but I'm sure Yates knew what they were doing in 1960. Would this sway you towards the Grizzly?

Re-Saw capability: We always want more, but realistically I can live with 12", and 13.5" from the outside.

BLADES: This seems like a big deal to me, and heavily in the Grizzly's favor. Is the Yates' 1" maximum width going to be enough for me? Will I someday kick myself for passing on having 1-3/8"

FENCE: The Grizzly aluminum resaw fence is very nice, but the Driftmaster is definitely superior. I suppose that using a 1-3/4" blade on the grizzly, having easy drift-adjustment is less important. Your thoughts?
    ------------

Brake: Heck, I'll be happy with ANY brake, but I think I prefer a mechanical footbrake to a magnetic brake that has no foot-pedal. - Maybe I can add a foot-controlled E-stop to the Grizzly's mag starter?

## Getting it here: I'll be dipped if I know how I can bring that Yates home.
    ==========================

That's the extent of it. I sure would appreciate it if anyone reads this whole thing, and shares any opinions at all.

THANKS.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 05-17-2015 at 1:02 AM.

I found this at another forum, it sounds pretty good to me.

powerhandtools68.com/grizzly-g0531b-5-hp-industrial-bandsaw-with-brake-21-inch/

quotes:

"Be ready to start using the amazing techniques of Grizzly G0531B 5 HP Industrial Bandsaw with Brake, 21-Inch and enhance your credibility, career advancement,
    confidence, and your entire life.

Grizzly G0531B 5 HP Industrial Bandsaw with Brake, 21-Inch helps you to be free from the feeling that you don’t fit in. You will not have to go through the humiliating experiences that your friends went through in personal or professional life."
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-17-2015 at 6:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I found this at another forum, it sounds pretty good to me.....

Yeah, that was me that started that thread !

- That's the exact Grizzly I'm considering. (I'm so tired of feeling like I don't fit in ! )

I don't know about the Yates (I'm sure it's a fine machine) but if you are hesitant about Grizzly because of quality or service I wouldn't give it a thought. I have taken in 2 of their machines in the last two months and expecting another (lathe) in the next few weeks and everything has been better than expected. I am envious of a 5hp table saw. Heck, I can't imagine how it would slice through wood compared to my 1 1/2 hp jet.

Let us know what you decide and good luck with the decision.

As much as it would be cool to have the Yates, it sounds to me that the grizzly would be the best choice. Main reasons:
    Transportation
    Tension release lever
    Warranty (If you're buying new)

Regarding moving the Yates, you'd have to plan to take it apart to reduce weight and trailer it to have a chance of doing it yourself I think. With some ingenuity, you could probably lay it down on its back and move it solo. That's how I did my 20" PM, but I had a helper too.

I would also check the upper/lower guides which will make or break a BS,griz will have parts available,the Yates well you want need parts for it.Whats the age of the griz,the Yates is only 55yrs old and hows the tires?If you can, post some pics of the machines.Both sound very HD
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 05-16-2015 at 9:23 PM.

It seems to me the Yates is a emotional decision and the Grizzly is a logical decision. Your logic is louder than your emotion. Besides where are you going to get parts? You are trying to convince yourself about the sealed bearings but you have no idea about how it's been used. I personally would do the Grizzly, it makes better sense to me long term. Give up on the daydream and face reality.

Chuck

If you enjoy woodworking more than thinkering with machines I think your clear choice is Grizzly. If you had said newer Italian bandsaw vs. Grizzly, the answer would have been the Italian breed.

What model is the Yates? Their best stuff was about a million times better but they also made high end consumer machines ( J series ) towards the end of their production. Those machines were great all around saws but not a pure resaw. The older cast iron are some of the best bandsaws ever made and a no brainer but if you don't know old machines or care to, the Grizzly is the more safe bet. Takes a lot for me to say that as Yates were sweet. I'd take an old 3 hp over the new 5 hp as Yates used good motors but the frame may not take high tension compared to the Grizzly. The old heavy machines often used AL for the wheels as the frame absorbed the vibration. When frames went to steel the need for heavy wheels became more important. Sealed bearings are fine on a bandsaw but don't consider them an improvement, just easy to deal with. The fact that a lower end Yates has lasted 55 years does say something about its quality. I'm a two saw guy and have a Yates Y20, but as a second saw for everything but resawing. Dave

David, it's a J-120, not the snowflake. (I wish !)

It has a cast iron base, but a steel frame, and cast aluminum wheels. If it were a snowflake, I'd already own it.

I must literally make a decision tonight. Ughh ..... (Leaning towards the Grizzly thanks to you guys, but not completely sold yet.)
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 05-17-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Considering the difference in weight of the wheels, the Yates is quite a bit heavier. The Grizzly extreme series might be a better comparison as it is more of a resaw. Guides are irrelevant if the saw can tension and parts aren't a big issue. If the Yates is still working after all these years, there is little to break. Tires might need work. I would not spend for the Driftmaster but spend extra on a saw. If you have a small saw all ready, I'd be more tempted with a 24" SCMI, Centauro, or ACM. Used go for about what you are looking to spend and all will do anything you need. Rushing into a decision only makes sense if you finally find the machine of your dreams. Generally another better one comes up when you miss out on a machine you are not quite sure about. Dave

Hi Allan,
    I,ve had the Griz 0531B for several years now and it is a great machine. I keep a 1" lenox Woodmaster CT on it all the time and have done tons of resawing with it. My version is 5hp with mechanical foot brake that stops the wheel and switches the motor off but no electrical motor brake (I believe the newer models have the motor brake available as well), my fence is solid CI and I made a simple tall resaw fence that I clamp to the table. Table size is not an issue. I use infeed/outfeed roller stands and have resawn old 8X8 barn timbers 10 ft long, using a little muscle, and have gotten consistent, good cuts. 14.5" resaw height has been plenty on all but a couple of occasions. It takes a few minutes to set up blade tracking by adjusting the upper wheel cant but once set, it seems to stay in position for lots of bf of resawing. Changing blades and guide adjustment is easy but I have replaced/upgraded the guide bearings twice. Maybe they would last longer if I bought better ones, but they seem to last OK for the price. The beams I resawed were pine and still had lots of pitch--barn was built in the 1880's --and they loaded the tires with goo and sawdust that I couldn't easily clean off so I got new tires too. I check/clean the tires regularly now!! I built a mobile base with leveling casters and move it easily as needed for long stock. The Yates could be fun but the Griz being closer and likely more trouble free makes it the more logical choice. Good luck shopping. JCB.

Well, you guys helped me decide on the Grizzly, and by a miracle it was still available !

OH HAPPY DAY !!!!

BUT JOHN - I am quite concerned about your statement concerning the guides. Quote: Changing blades and guide adjustment is easy but I have replaced/upgraded the guide bearings twice. Maybe they would last longer if I bought better ones, but they seem to last OK for the price"

Woah. Were the stock guides lousy? They look to be a decent design in the pictures. - and what exactly did you replace them with?

Last edited by Allan Speers; 05-17-2015 at 10:13 PM.

245 miles closer, 50 years younger?

It's a power tool, not a Ferrari Daytona.

My head hurts trying to read Johns post. Don't you ever use paragraphs?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night