Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that we wished had been invented:

Would someone invent a tree that grows pre-shaped bowls please !
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

John, I do remember, maybe 20 years ago they were making some diamond plated router bits and saw blades. They did last a lot longer, but the idea never panned out. No idea why, but would guess that they would not cut as clean as carbide.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    John, I do remember, maybe 20 years ago they were making some diamond plated router bits and saw blades. They did last a lot longer, but the idea never panned out. No idea why, but would guess that they would not cut as clean as carbide.

robo hippy
    Diamond is hard, but it is not tough. It will shatter. I would believe that chipping would quickly destroy the edge. Carbide is much tougher.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

A button I could press, kind of like the Staples "That was Easy" button, that says, "No thank you. I have enough wood already". I seem to be incapable of saying the words myself.

Or a 3rd garage stall so I wouldn't have to park outside.

An airtight varnish dispenser. So you can actually use the entire container without losing half to the skim coat that always forms.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    No joke on this one, which I'm pretty sure can be done: an automatic vibration dampener, which would work like a car's harmonic balancer. The idea is that it would make turning irregular blanks easier.

A scraper catch warning sensor. It would work like those backup beepers on your car, sounding louder and more often the closer you get to catastrophe.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 05-17-2015 at 6:06 PM.

I would like a "Put-Back" Tool. I've needed one way too many times. I cut the board twice and it's still too short.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Ok, then, indestructible diamond-hard tool edges that never need sharpening. I know two researchers who suspect a ceramic can be developed to get close to this.

I also want a finish that coats perfectly, hides defects, cures instantly to my choice of gloss, seals against all moisture and gasses, is impervious to all known solvents, prevents wood from ever darkening or changing color, and never sets up in the bottle. And is so cheap it is almost free.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ok, then, indestructible diamond-hard tool edges that never need sharpening. I know two researchers who suspect a ceramic can be developed to get close to this.

I also want a finish that coats perfectly, hides defects, cures instantly to my choice of gloss, seals against all moisture and gasses, is impervious to all known solvents, prevents wood from ever darkening or changing color, and never sets up in the bottle. And is so cheap it is almost free.

JKJ
    Ditto to all you said.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    No joke on this one, which I'm pretty sure can be done: an automatic vibration dampener, which would work like a car's harmonic balancer. The idea is that it would make turning irregular blanks easier.
    I can't say I'm totally convinced, but the author of this pdf article sings praises of a contraption he installed on his lathe...
    http://www.morewoodturningmagazine.c...20Blanacer.pdf

Safe-T-Freeze - as soon as an unsafe moment begins everything freezes. Has a reverse button.

Robust Mini-Maxi - a small high quality mini-lathe with mini-price that can expand to a full sized American Beauty. Comes with overhead crane for lifting heavy blanks.

Harry Potter Garage - just like the magical tents in Harry Potter that have seemingly unlimited space, the Garage would become enormous inside to accommodate whatever is required.

An electric skew?

Tony said "How about a wife that says " That's fine Honey, spend as much as you want on tools!""

My wife is pretty close to that. However, she did say, "Just remember, I will inherit all of them." :-D

Automatic broom and dust pan.