Thread: Nightstand project pics

Nightstand project pics

My nightstand project after the 4th and final coat of Arm-R-Seal. Tops aren't attached yet (will use figure 8's), haven't glued in the drawer stops, and need to add 2 thin shims to a couple of slides to tweak the draw fit. A&C hammered copper ring pulls are on backorder till June....those will dress it up a bit.

This is my first effort at furniture, inspired by my desire to use up a bunch of rift and qtr'd white oak left over from a cabinet job. They're not perfect but the learnings will prove invaluable for upcoming projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Those look great, I think the finish came out terrific!

Blog Entries
    They look great! I wouldn't guess it was your first furniture piece.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Through tenons on your first piece? Ambitious, but came out great ! Well done! Love the finish!

Nice, clean design that appears well executed. Congratulations.

Scott, the tables look fantastic. Don't go trying to tell us this is your first shot at furniture.....lol.....great job. Through tenons add a great touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    They look great! I wouldn't guess it was your first furniture piece.
    +1. Nice work.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for the nice words. Yep, first shot at furniture...although I've been making lots of cabinets for the last 5 years....kitchen, bath, office so am familiar with woodworking in general.

The pieces were chemically stained with potassium dichromate then finished with 4 coats Arm-R-Seal. The dichromate is hand applied and oxidizes the tannin in the wood. By the time I got to the drawers the PD container had become cloudy with oak tannin, which put a nice patina on the maple drawer parts.....they look very old.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 05-17-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Beautiful, Sir!

They're dead, solid perfect.

Copper pulls will look sharp.
    Kudos

Very nice work Scott!