Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 3520B

The blunt face of the Powermatic 3520B has not been a real problem since the bowl is usually held in a chuck when holding the bottom. I did buy the 1-1/2" extension (about 2" by memory) when I purchased my lathe and have use it on occasion to extend shaft to jam against bottom which would be about same as the long taper snout of other lathes. That would not be the decision maker for me.

The headstock design on my Robust AB is very user friendly for sanding. I can get to the bottom of the bowl with no problems. I can't compare it to a PM or Grizzly because I have never used one.

I always thought the notch was for cutting access for twice turned bowls. When I sand, I use extended jaws. It does move the piece farther away from the headstock, but there is no added vibration due to the longer extension, mostly because sanding is a low pressure thing.

robo hippy

Thanks for the answers. I'll probably buy the spindle extension. That way I can leave the work on the chuck and add the extension when needed.

I would not suggest using the spindle extension for turning. Sanding is okay, but turning is a heavier load, and you will get vibration.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I would not suggest using the spindle extension for turning. Sanding is okay, but turning is a heavier load, and you will get vibration.

robo hippy
    I understand. What I should have said is, I can leave the work in the chuck, take the chuck off the lathe, then put the extension on, and put the chuck, with the work on the extension to sand.

Ben, did you notice that there's a PM 3520B for sale in the want ads? It's being offered at an amazing price with a couple of extras added in, you might want to check it out.
    Len

Thanks Len. Which want ads? On this site?

Hi Ben, just noticed you're in Fayetteville. You're a little closer than me, so you can have it. Len, you may be thinking the AR in Ben's location is for Arizona, but it's actually Arkansas. That's a common mistake. But even with a 3 day weekend, that's too far for me to go. It is a good deal though.
    Last edited by Bob Dupras; 05-21-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Yes Ben, on this site, it is being offered for sale by Jon Prouty(sp). The asking price is $2800, and he is located in AZ. Which unfortunately, is to far for me to travel to get it, or I wouldn't be telling you about it.lol
    Len

Just ordered my new 3520b today! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

12. I know of a 3520B with bed extension that will be coming up for sale very soon in Houston, TX

I just missed out on a 3520b on Craig's List in Connecticut last week. Advertised as like new and the pics looked it, and it went for $1900.00 !!! I responded immediately but it wasn't quick enough.

Ben...PM sent...if you want to utilize the classified ads here on SMC you can become a member for the suggested $6.00/yr.
    Contributors are the reason that SMC is alive.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Took delivery of my 3520b today! Wow, big, heavy and solid. Didn't finish wiring it today but can't wait.