Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 3520B

Smile Powermatic 3520B

Hello Friends,

After months of reading and considering, I am near taking the plunge for a 3520B. Any last minute thoughts, warnings, encouragement, etc.? I do lots of bowls in the 12-16" range and would like to go larger. Currently turning on a Griz 0462.

Ben

The PM-3520B is a lot of bang for the buck. I own one. I have turned over 20" on it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Love mine, go for it.

Does it matter which dealer I buy from? I'm looking at an e-bay ad by Nevins Tools. http ://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERMATIC-WOOD-LATHE-3520B-W-FREE-18-BED-EXTENSION-BRAND-NEW-1352001-/201087614927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed1c1 7fcf
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 05-17-2015 at 9:17 AM. Reason: remove ebay link

I bought mine from Tool Nut. Excellent service.

I want to say their regular price was $3599 or so but I bought mine just before they went on sale. Tool Nut ended up giving me store credit for the difference so I ended up with a Nova SN2 chuck and a few other things.
    Last edited by Doug W Swanson; 05-16-2015 at 11:38 PM.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I also love mine. I don't know where you live but I went to a woodworking machine store in my area and they delivered it and set it up for me at no charge. It does weight around 700pounds. I would also get the bed extension if you wish to turn larger than 20" in the future with the extension you get the large tool rest for outboard turning.

I bought mine through Nevins. Love the lathe and the price, communication and follow-up from Nevins was excellent.

Like it says in the Ebay ad call and negotiate a price. 10% off plus the bed extension would be a good deal.

Buy it...consider it your civic duty towards keeping the economy going.

I wood get the bed extension,, and also consider getting the offset tool rest from Robust, it has to be special ordered, but it will keep big bowls from hitting the banjo.

11. My only advice would be to wait until some reviews start popping up for the Grizzly G0766. They should start shipping in a couple days so it wont be long. Its ecpected to be as good, if not better that the PM and its almost third the cost.

12. If you've decided on a PM - call Craft Supplies USA (Provo Utah) and ask if they have any demo models from the symposium for sale.

The symposium was this past week (ended today?) and they always have lathes for sale at pretty decent markdowns.

I would jump on a 3520. They are great machines. Alot of people have jumped on the new Grizzly bandwagon, but the powermatic weighs 682 lbs., and the grizzly only 496 lbs. Thats a lot of weight difference when the grizzly will turn a larger piece? That weight has got to come from somewhere. Thinner castings is probably what suffered. Buy the best you can afford and only buy once is my motto.

14. Quote Originally Posted by John M. Smith View Post
    I would jump on a 3520. They are great machines. Alot of people have jumped on the new Grizzly bandwagon, but the powermatic weighs 682 lbs., and the grizzly only 496 lbs. Thats a lot of weight difference when the grizzly will turn a larger piece? That weight has got to come from somewhere. Thinner castings is probably what suffered. Buy the best you can afford and only buy once is my motto.
    Your making speculations without any facts. Yes its a bit lighter but it dosnt have the giant cage and the mount that the cage mounts too that the 3520 has. That's part of the weight. Lets wait untill some of them are in the hands of users and some reviews start popping up before we start telling people its a lesser machine. I think most of you are in for a surprise!

15. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    My only advice would be to wait until some reviews start popping up for the Grizzly G0766. They should start shipping in a couple days so it wont be long. Its ecpected to be as good, if not better that the PM and its almost third the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    Your making speculations without any facts. Yes its a bit lighter but it dosnt have the giant cage and the mount that the cage mounts too that the 3520 has. That's part of the weight. Lets wait untill some of them are in the hands of users and some reviews start popping up before we start telling people its a lesser machine. I think most of you are in for a surprise!
    Maybe you should read your own post.

the cage and the mount on a PM doesn't weigh 180# - maybe 10-15#

so the weight difference has to come from somewhere.