Thread: Pneumatic Nailers--repair or replace?

Pneumatic Nailers--repair or replace?

I went to use my ten year old PC round head framing nailer and it has an air leak. I looked at getting a rebuild kit for it, but the thing cost over $100 with shipping. That's two thirds the cost of a new one without labor to fix it. I'm thinking I'll just toss it and replace it. What do you think?
    Dennis

Can you tell where the leak is? From inside somewhere, I assume. If it were mine, I would certainly take it apart find the leak, and try to fix it. It might be as simple as replacing an o-ring or something obvious and simple . Some rebuild kits are so expensive because they include lots of new parts you may not need to get it working.

You never know. I took one of mine apart and fixed it years ago (sorry, can't remember what it needed), but recently tossed a die grinder when I found worn parts I couldn't fix easily.

JKJ

I pulled out my lightly used Bostitch F28WW nailer a couple of weeks ago, loaded it up and pulled the trigger - - only to be greeted by a soft little "pop" instead of a nail being driven. Try as I might, all I got was a soft little pop.

I picked up this one from Harbor Freight since I had a bunch of 28* wire collated fasteners.

Same sort of dilemma - the repair place quoted me $25 to look at the gun but said it sounded like it needed a $100 rebuild that would take about 3 weeks for the parts to come in. They said Bostitch got real bad about parts all out of the blue about 6 months ago.

I needed a gun ASAP so I picked up the HF 3 in 1 and hung onto the sales slip.
    The HF worked like a champ. It's not as powerful as the Bostitch, but,,,,few nailers are.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I had the trigger valve on my Bostitch framing nailer start leaking after a few years. I replaced the valve and it's worked great for several years now. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't anything close to $100.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln