Thread: Preparing a skew grind on the Tormek-CBN

Preparing a skew grind on the Tormek-CBN

I was mindful of Ian's recent post, where he creatively - and brilliantly! - developed a way to hold his skew blades for honing, when I needed to hone up the blades for the LN #98 and #99 to widen a groove. These are great little planes but they need to be sharp ... well everything needs to be sharp ... still, keeping these little buggers honed is tricky since they do not easily fit in a honing guide.

Well I do not need a guide for them. They are so easy to hone when hollow ground. Takes a couple of seconds once the donkey work is done, and then this lasts a long time.

This is even easier on the CBN wheel-BGM-100 (Tormek guide) I use.

Set it accurately (apologies for the blurry pic) ..

Grind safely to near or at the edge (25 degrees on this blade) ..

A couple of strokes on the waterstones ...

And you get this ..

Regards from Perth

Derek (the enabler)

Derek,

What size and grit wheel are you using? Also, from whom did you buy it?
    If you have previously answered these questions please pardon me.
    Thank you,
    Rollie

Hi Rollie

This is an 8" 180 grit wheel. It is from Jim Carroll in Australia. I am sure the same wheel is available in the USA. I would try Wood Turners Wonders. Ken Rizza there provided absolute top notch service. All detail and links here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ningSetUp.html

Do not purchase the radius wheels unless you are gong to use them only for turning. Get the straight ones. I've explained that above.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've got as far as setting up 8in dia 80 and 180 grit WTW CBN wheels on a low speed grinder for use on grinding jobs where a lot of metal needs removing. +1 on their incredible ability to remove metal while putting in minimal heat. There's also the spooky lack of drag and vibration as this is happening. Next up are the work support arrangements - which need careful thinking through re. possible differences in requirements vs traditional friable wheels.

It's always amazing how many ways there are to successfully get these jobs done - and how much effect small differences in requirements/choices can have. My skew set up was chasing the ability to lightly and with a flat bevel grind and then hone very highly skewed blades as on knives and if needed staright spokeshave blades as well - doing both using a honing guide, and without disturbing the setting of the blade in the guide in the transition....
    Last edited by ian maybury; 05-18-2015 at 4:55 PM.

Derek

Thank you for your quick and late night response. I have been intrigued by the CBN wheels for sometime. Now I suppose there is nothing left to do but shell out the cash.

Enjoy your winter, that is if you have one at your latitude.

Yours,
    Rollie