Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker rulers - do you recommend them?

If you are referring to the aluminum rulers that Woodpeckers makes, I have the Woodcraft versions of the same. I have the 6", 12", 24" and 36", and use them all the time. The centering rule has come in handy many times. For woodworking purposes they will serve you well. I also have several metal rules in various lengths that get used a lot. Call me a tool junkie, I don't mind.

I don't have any of their rulers, but have numerous of their squares, both a carpenters square as well as their 6" square. They are dead accurate, and being milled from a single billet of aluminum, cannot go out of square. I love them.

Hines
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Just an opinion, but unless there is no good-quality alternative, I find all of Woodpeckers products to be too expensive. They are high-quality, but produced in ways and scales that lead to high prices.

I have a couple of Woodpeckers rules, and frankly I prefer others with the traditional Starrett 4R ruling (separate scales for 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64). I find that my old eyes have trouble picking out a line when it is tightly packed between other ones, but no issue if they are spaced farther even if the rulings are thin.

Dear Mr. skelly,

I sell Woodpeckers. We do offer an extra 10% discount for Creekers. We also have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We will give you a full refund, including shipping, at any time and for any reason.

As far as quality, Woodpeckers' rulers test out as straighter than many "straight edges."

As to whether it is worth it, I don't know. I live pretty cheap all year; old clothes, old car, old house.

On the other hand. This Feebi, my current dog. I got her alt September because she was old (13), very sick and no one wanted her.

That is not the most practical way to get a dog but sometimes I get to do what I want just because I want to.

Now her health is much better, she is not in pain, she has a forever home and I have a pretty good, old dog.

Feebi at wrok sm.jpg
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Dear Michael Moscicki,

Thank you for the kind words.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    Dear Mr. skelly,

I sell Woodpeckers. We do offer an extra 10% discount for Creekers. We also have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We will give you a full refund, including shipping, at any time and for any reason.

As far as quality, Woodpeckers' rulers test out as straighter than many "straight edges."

As to whether it is worth it, I don't know. I live pretty cheap all year; old clothes, old car, old house.

On the other hand. This Feebi, my current dog. I got her alt September because she was old (13), very sick and no one wanted her.

That is not the most practical way to get a dog but sometimes I get to do what I want just because I want to.

Now her health is much better, she is not in pain, she has a forever home and I have a pretty good, old dog.

Feebi at wrok sm.jpg
    Tom - Good job of looking out for Feebi. I'm sure you guys are close friends. From the picture she looks to have decided to take a brief paws (hahaha).

I like Woodpecker tools a lot. I have a few of them, I probably use the squares the most, they are really nice. I have the 12" and 26" that are shaped like an L and a 24" T square. My smaller squares are the guaranteed squares from Incra.

Fred - I think the rules from Woodpecker would be a great choice.

Edit - But the Veritas rules that Glenn provided the link to look good also, and might be easier to read.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 05-18-2015 at 4:49 PM.

Plus 1 what George said. I use all of them. Many other Woodpecker products in my shop as well.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

FWIW the technical term is a scale or a rule, a ruler is a monarch
    And a monarch is a butterfly. "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a doughnut with no hole is a Danish".

As far as Woodpecker' stuff, I have a few items and I think they're very well made, albeit rather expensive. There are a lot more I'd probably have if they were cheaper.

Probably going to be the oddest reply to the thread, but, I like to buy Woodpeckers tools because I have a son that is a machinist and I like to support all those in the trade in the USA. 2nd, its nearly a local business for me here in OH and I like to support local folks/businesses. On top of those I really like the red and white stuff. It's just like my golf clubs. Pings don't really make me a better golfer, but I like the stuff so I keep buying, lol. I've snapped up a bunch of used one time tools right here on the Creek as well. I continue to buy as my wallet allows. One day soon I am going to head over and see if'n I can't get a plant tour.

Once again, thanks to all of you who took a moment to reply. I appreciate your help!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I am a great fan of the Starrett scales. Expensive but I still have the ones I purchased 30 years ago.

However I am sure everyone is making the markings on all scales smaller every year...

How to buy Shinwa Rulers

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Forgot to mention it above, but steel is a big deal if you use a rule as a gutting guide. I should have said too that i've never seen anything as clear and easy to read as the Shinwa. The other bi plus is that they do a nice line in simple little rule stops that work well too.

THis links the factory catalogue: http://www.shinwasokutei.co.jp/engli.../products.html

For me they really do manage to hit top quality and reasonable price all at once...
    Hi Ian,
    I followed the link you provided to Shinwa's catalog. Due to the product layout design on their pages I could not see clearly enough detail to appreciate which ruler I wanted. Also, they only show price codes, as they do not sell direct to individuals. I take from your post and satisfaction that you have been able to purchase some of their rulers. I would be interested in knowing where you were able to see them and purchase. I am 70 and the contrast on some rulers here (Lee Valley) makes it difficult to see markings accurately, takes some real time to stare at a measurement and make my mark. The Shinwa rulers seem ideal for me in larger markings and better contrast. Any help you could provide to steering me toward a purchase would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    FWIW the technical term is a scale or a rule, a ruler is a monarch
    The Oxford English Dictionary says "Ruler: A straight strip or cylinder of plastic, wood, metal, or other rigid material, typically marked at regular intervals, to draw straight lines or measuredistances.", and for Rule: "A strip of wood or other rigid material used for measuring length or marking straight lines; a ruler."

So there may be some draftsman's jargon in which there is a difference, but in common English they mean the same thing.

They were stupid expensive, but the Bridge City "straightedge measuring devices" I acquired many years ago are still a delight to hold and use.

I hate woodpecker stuff. I used to blame my out of square projects on my cheap BORG square. I can't do that anymore. I have several rulers and squares that I use because I like torturing myself.

In the common language the term ruler is often used. The technical term scale, as in 6" scale, is always correct. I spent most of my working life as an Inspector and acquired many years in drafting classes from junior high school to college so I tend to prefer the technical definition. I don't think I have ever heard a machinist use the word ruler to describe a scale. Both the American Society of Non-Destructive Testing and the American Welding Society use the term scale rather than ruler.

I own two satin type 6" scales that I carried daily for decades, both were calibrated in a calibration lab which was required in the business I used to work. I wonder if a red scale with white marks made from aluminum is capable of being a certified M&TE.