Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the skew

the skew

I'm a newbie here but I have been watching videos on the skew and it is amazing what it can actually do;;;; providing you are not scared of it as I am;;;does anyone know of any good videos on this;;thank you

Skew video

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I'm a newbie here but I have been watching videos on the skew and it is amazing what it can actually do;;;; providing you are not scared of it as I am;;;does anyone know of any good videos on this;;thank you
    Jeff I just viewed a video by Dave from D-way tools that I found very informative.

Alan Lacer's DVDs are pretty standard fair, and are available from his website.
    Alan Batty has a video put up by Craft Supply that is quite good also.
    Brendan Stemp's 'The Skew Made Easy' is also good.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Lacer's Video...The Skew Chisel......The Dark Side...The Sweet Side....helped me immensely! Of all the turning tools, in my experience, the skew chisel requires the most practice to become comfortable to use.

I hadn't done any turning for some time until recently. A neighbor asked me to turn a spindle for a chair he was rehabbing for his 80 year old FIL. Of course, the skew was a logical tool of choice. Though I hadn't used it for a while, it didn't take long. Then as fate would have it, a window contractor bidding on some new windows hit me up to turn a spindle for him. Then another friend hit me up for a turning project.

I have 4 skews....2 of them are Alan Lacer skews which have more mass than most skews and a rounded short side. I dearly enjoy using my 2 Lacer skews and the skew I learned with which is a slightly modified (rounded shorted side) Robert Larson skew.

It takes practice but it's definitely a major part of my arsenal when I turn.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-17-2015 at 7:18 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Here is another by Richard Raffan which may cover some other ideas or the same from a different approach.
    The first half is about the skew.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post

Jeff,

I use skews a lot. The best advice I can give you if you are starting off on your own with out a tutor is to get yourself a ring drive center similar to the one on the far right side in this image http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENT4.html . The ring drive center will act like a clutch and any catch will allow the blank to spin on the drive center and not reef the skew chisel out of your hands. Get yourself a face shield and safety spectacles.

• Start off with a roundish blank about 1.5" to 2" dia, rough it down to round with a spindle roughing gouge first (before you pick up the skew).
    • Once it is round and relatively smooth, reset your tool rest parallel to the blank marginally above center and less than 1/2" away from the blank.
    • with the lathe turned off, test the position of the skew with the flat of the skew resting fully on the tool rest & in the planing cut bevel rubbing mode and get a feel for the "cutting position" of the skew.
    • Start the lathe and slightly back off the tail stock pressure so that when you place a hand on the spinning blank it will stop spinning (i.e. a clutch & don't try this with the standard 4 prong drive.)
    • Present the skew to the wood in the normal planing cut presentation but with the handle low and the cutting edge behind the blank so the skew shaft is running on the body of the blank and not engaging the cutting edge.
    • now draw the skew handle slowly backwards and lift your back hand at the same time until the cutting edge picks up the cut. Don't be concerned - if the skew catches the blank will stop spinning.
    • as you feel more comfortable repeating this method the skews cutting edge will pick up the cut and start cutting.
    • Gradually put more pressure on the tail stock untill you can easily engage the cutting edge.

The same method can be used to practice peeling cuts, V cuts, pommel cuts, and rolling beads with the skew. I would suggest starting off with a plain (not oval) skew as it will have less "things" to control. Look up Jon Siegel on the internet he also has some very good tips & his "a-better-way-to-practice.pdf" http://www.bigtreetools.com/articles...o-practice.pdf
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 05-17-2015 at 5:55 PM.

I learnied from this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnTt_3AXtA

Practice helps a lot.
    Last edited by Stan Smith; 05-17-2015 at 6:11 PM.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Jeff, when I started plunging sharp things into spinning wood everyone I talked to told me to keep away from the evil skew, it will scare you, it will hurt you, it will destroy wood. Use it as a scraper, to open paint cans, to mark out wood.

But when I read the books all the experts like Raffan, Darlow, etc. were using the skew for much of their turning. I decided I would learn to use the skew if it killed me. Following the books (which, BTW, I find far better than videos) it actually didn't take long before the skew was my favorite spindle tool. I use it a lot for long thin tapers, tight detail, deep v grooves, and a variety of end grain cuts. I keep a bunch of skews, some just so I can switch to a new tool immediately instead of stopping to sharpen. I don't worry a bit about catches - in fact it is sometimes hard to even get it to catch to demonstrate!

Note that I don't consider myself an expert and I'm certainly not a production turner - I'm way too slow. But I find nothing better or easier for things like tapering a 14" conductor's baton in holly to 1/8" diameter with a tool finish that hardly ever needs coarser than 600 grit paper (or maybe 400 if I'm sloppy).

I have had people come to my shop just to learn the skew, and I try to include it every time I do a demo. When teaching one-on-one I usually start out with the skew, turning the wood by hand at first. Once you understand the dynamics of the simple skew, all other "cutting tools" are easy. In fact many tools not considered skews can be used exactly like a skew, such as the flat wings of a deep roughing gouge. Just this evening I was using an 1/8" skew in a tight space - it was actually a parting off tool but it will plane the point of a finial exactly like a tiny skew!

There are some very important parameters that must be learned to know when to use which skew in what circumstance. Things like sharpening angles, skew angles, width, thickness, edge curvature, and the angle the skew is presented to the work can make a huge difference in how forgiving or challenging the skew is for a particular size and type of wood and how cleanly it cuts. I don't know how to learn this except by experimenting.

John Lucas once did a great skew demo at our club. He demonstrated lots of skew and skew-like tools, even using a huge axe to plane a cylinder. Good clean fun!

JKJ

An instrument of the devil designed to injure and humiliate mankind.

Here is another skew clip by Allan Batty. He was an excellent teacher. If you don't know, he had a stroke several years back and can no longer turn. He quipped that the pedestrians over there would be feeling a lot safer because he couldn't drive any more either.. He has another one up on hand chasing threads on boxes, also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    A common sentiment.

I imagine the satan himself laughs out loud as he walks to and fro on the earth perpetrating this misconception, fostering fear, destroying confidence, and draining joy from the souls of woodturners by denying them a true instrument of the angels. Ha, get thee behind the dust collector, satan.

JKJ

I 'fool around' with a couple of cheap skews every now and then just for practicing. Question...what other applications, if any, does a skew serve if one never does spindle work?

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    I 'fool around' with a couple of cheap skews every now and then just for practicing. Question...what other applications, if any, does a skew serve if one never does spindle work?
    Grooves. And it also makes a negative rake scraper.

I'm amazed what the skew can do in experienced hands. Really useful tool that I'm determined to learn. Just the other day I found a video of an English chap in monk garb rockin' the skew. Lots of very quick work.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    I pretty much had this attitude for a lot of years. I didn't use my skews except as scrapers. Then, I had gotten a lot of wenge pen blanks ready to turn and it was sort of splintering as I used a carbide square tool. I got some tips on the IAP forum to use a skew and after watching Capt. Eddies video, going slowly, and being careful, it wasn't very difficult after all. Just don't let the tip get buried. The skew produces a very nice and slick surface. It works very well with the problem wood that I try sometimes.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith