Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8 inch Jointer

I'd buy it in an instant. Just send him the money now!

I'd buy that for a dollar! 300 times over!

If he holds it you are VERY lucky. When I sold items on CL only held item if had down payment or person told me their on way to see.

4. Drop everything and go get it. At $300, even if it is a 3PH you can go VFD or even buy a new 1PH motor and STILL be ahead of the game. I'd arrange a way to pay him and pick it up later. I have the PM50, the 6" version that is a 1962 model and wouldn't give it up for any new shiny one that is currently available!! The 8" PM60 for $300, that is insane. Others will jump on this one if you don't.

Definitely a good buy. $300 is about the average price for a used middle of the road 6" jointer around here.

So it worked out. The guy actually kept his word and held it for me. He lived in a pretty rural area but even with that he said he wrote down 10 individuals who wanted to get in line behind me and several that offered him more than his asking price. I am still a rookie when it comes to much of this but the jointer seemed to run well and was very quiet and with no vibration. The beds and the fence seem to not be warped and were coplaner. There is some staining on the beds but no major gouges or dings. The belt is starting to wear but it also came with a nice push stick and an extra set of blades. Another bonus was he was the original owner and seemed to have taken good care of it. Here are some more pictures of it sitting in the area that will soon be my wood shop. I have a couple questions to all you out there that I was hoping you could answer. 1. The motor is only 1.5 HP but seems to run strong. Will that be enough? Again I am not planning on going crazy so I hope it will be sufficient for my needs. 2. The depth meter/gauge had green paint in it (see below). Is that normal or has it been repainted at some point? I asked him about it and he said it came that way. I have also seen another Model 60 with the same paint in the same spot so maybe they did come like that. 3. Any suggestions on a replacement switch? I would like to upgrade it at some point.

2015-05-22 16.17.28.jpgj2.jpg2015-05-22 16.21.03.jpgj4.jpgjj.jpg

1 1/2 HP should be plenty, especially from that Leeson motor. Looks like you got yourself a gem. Congrats!

Ignore the depth gauge. I do. They are not accurate enough to rely on - you take off what you need to take off to get the job done. It gives you an idea of "a scootch more" or "a scootch less".

Nice man - You owe him your thanks, which I am sure you passed along.

Good score. We are all jealous. And, in the words of the estimable Bill Murray:

Bill Murray.jpg
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I bought a Rockwell 8" for $300. Took me 3 seconds, or less to decide on buying it. Count your blessings.

Image1crop.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I just realized it is missing the red Powermatic name badge on the front. No big deal but I knew it was missing something but I couldn't quite figure it out.

1.5hp seems a bit small to my ears, I took a 5hp motor off my much smaller jointer (so it can power a DC blower) and am putting a 3hp one there instead. I thought, I hope it's powerful enough.

Whew... Happy ending !

-----------------

Dennis, you are serious about 5 HP, or kidding?

The current Powermatic 8" PJ882 "only" has 2 HP, and that's made for heavy duty use. I'm no expert, but I would think 1.5 HP is plenty for a hobbyist, who has the time to take light passes. I'm assuming you were making a joke. If not, I just GOTTA' know what kind of wood would require even 3 HP on an 8" cutterhead.

No I thought 5HP was overkill too, but 3HP should be around what I need as that is what the machine came with when I bought it, said motor was broken though so I found the 5hp one used but working for 25 euros and put it on instead. So given that a 3HP (2.2kw) one was what came with my little 8" Emco Rex B20 jointer/planer, I thought 1.5HP for a much larger and sturdier jointer seemed a bit small.

I don't plane anything particularly exotic, just a lot of it at the same time, it's a small machine but I've jointed & planed out 8ft lengths of 2x8 construction lumber on this machine and I noticed it slowed down when it was hogging off the entire width of the 2x8 on the planer section, but I suppose it could as well have been the transmission lines tension that was slipping.

e: Here's my 3HP replacement for my jointer/planer:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-you-go-for-it
    Last edited by Dennis Aspö; 05-23-2015 at 4:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hardy View Post
    1. The motor is only 1.5 HP but seems to run strong. Will that be enough? Again I am not planning on going crazy so I hope it will be sufficient for my needs.

Plenty of power, don't give it a second thought.

2. The depth meter/gauge had green paint in it (see below). Is that normal or has it been repainted at some point? I asked him about it and he said it came that way. I have also seen another Model 60 with the same paint in the same spot so maybe they did come like that.

Clean it up with some lacquer thinner if you want to but really doesn't matter that's not something I ever used on my jointer. you'll learn to set up more by feel or by the gap between the fence and indeed bed.

3. Any suggestions on a replacement switch? I would like to upgrade it at some point.
    Check out Grizzly tools for a magnet switch
    Last edited by Judson Green; 05-23-2015 at 9:09 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Awesome. You've got your forever jointer. You can cross that off the list.