Thread: ClearVue Cyclone Dust Bin

Blog Entries

ClearVue Cyclone Dust Bin

I have had a metal trash can as my collector for a while now. I think it it is letting air in and thus chips going in my filters. I want to replace it., It is 26.5" tall. ClearVue does not sell bins(best I can tell) but PennState and Oneida do. I am looking at a 35 gal system as the 55 gal are too tall for my set up. My question is on the Oneida system that comes with a flanged top, the options are for a 5" OR 7" or larger flange. On my ClearVue, the drop down is 6". Which should I choose, 5 or 7"?

Penn State Industries has a plain fiber drum that meets your needs (link). I would purchase a six inch galvanized HVAC starter collar at your local big box store and cut your own opening in the lid. Be sure to use plenty of silicone sealant to prevent any leaks.

Tim,

In my experience, the two main reasons chips bypass a cyclone is either the bin leaks air as you suspect, or it is allowed to get too full. Full is not necessarily all the way to the top. You might need to dump it more frequently to keep the chips below the place where they are picked up off the pile and drawn into the upward flow in the cyclone. Can you see that happening in your Clearvue?

I would stick with the same size the cyclone manufacturer uses. IOW 6" for the bottom outlet and into your bin. From my understanding, that size is a important design element for the cyclone.

Robert's suggestion of the starter collar is a good one and I've used a number of those in my system in the hook ups to my 6" hose.

I have CV also, had same problem. Replace with quality drum. You'll be glad you did.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

You're in Houston, there have to be dealers of drums that are local, no?

There is nothing magic about the ones being sold online, you just likely pay additional markup, and shipping.

I'd look for a plastic (translucent) 30-gallon drum. That way you can see how full it is by simply shining a flashlight at the thing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, ordered from PennState. Yeah probably paid too much but way too convenient. Having a 6" flange shipped from Amazon. Hopefully can set up this weekend as I have 4 days off.

If you need to replace it at some point, call Baytec Containers in Bacliff. I got a nice 55 gal drum there cheap. They usually have all sorts of smaller containers and drums as well. I cut a hole in the metal lid and riveted a 6" starter collar from HD into it, then caulked thoroughly around it including around the flex hose connection as well so everything is an air tight seal.

That's the nice thing about living around Houston is you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone that's selling metal or plastic drums with lids on the side of the road. Last one I recently bought was $15 to replace my old burn barrel.

Blog Entries
    Do I need to place a seal around the lid of the PennState bin or is the clamping pressure enough

I just picked up a "standard" fiberboard drum with steel rim today. It was free, so I took it. (The woman who just sold me 25 bf of 4/4 air dried walnut for $20 said to just take it. )

I've been using something way too small for years, and was going to rig this up. It it a mistake? Are these considered too weak or leaky? (I thought most folks used them.)

### Is there any simple & effective way to make them better? I was thinking maybe of running some "Goop" type glue around the top & bottom seams, both inside & out. Maybe even coating the whole thing with something like "Rockhard" varnish.

Tim,

I have the Penn State 35 gal fiber drum for five years now: No leaks, well made and easy to handle. I use it with a CV 1800 and a 6" drop.

MDF lid?

Some people on the ClearVue forum report good results by making am MDF top for a metal trash can. A bonus is the nice surface to mount the optical bin-full sensors. Should work on any type bin.

I use a heavy-duty 30gal trash can with my CV1800 with the metal lid. I ran a 1" wide adhesive-backed gasket around the inside of the lid and it seems to seal fine with no clamps - no chips in the filters.

PS, I love that cyclone!

JKJ

For others reading - make a lid (some cyclones come with just a lid) and hit up a local car wash for a plastic 55 or 35 gal soap container. Usually free in peak months of car washing. I use a router to take the lid off inside the lip of the container.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.