Thread: Failing Ash Can Cyclone Dust Collector

Failing Ash Can Cyclone Dust Collector

As a way to cut the number of times I have to drag out and empty the dust collector bag on a 1 HP single bag collector, I decided to add an ashcan pre-collector. I built the collector from a normal plastic garbage can, put an elbow in the top for an air inlet, and a straight pipe for an outlet. I connected it to my dust collector on the outlet side, and to a jointer on the inlet side. The first can of jointer shavings went very well--2/3 of a can of chips that I could dump directly into the City green-waste recycle bin. The second try brought me a trash can flat o three sides, except for the round base and round top. It still held vacuum, and the inlet was an unobstructed path through the jointer.

What have other folks done? These things seem to be quite popular. I don't want to use an oil drum, since they are heavy, and I fear that using a metal trash can will give me something so crunched that I cannot pound it out again. One short-term solution I have thought of is to put cross bracing inside the can, but that will make emptying it much less successful. Another possibility would be to use a scrap edge-ripping from white oak, wet it, form a hoop, and screw the hoop into the inside of the can. Presumably the oak ring will not collapse.

Better ideas would surely help! Thanks.

When I had this issue with my Brute trash can, I cut a doughnut out of MDF that fit tightly halfway down. It was very easy to remove when it was time to dump the can, but, it could be fastened in place with screws through the can. It would still dump easily.

I have a Jet 1100 dust collector with a metal trash can with a plastic cyclone top that I've been using for 10 yrs with 0 problems.

I assume you mean trash can not ASHcan? And you can recycle your wood chips? That's great.

I have a thien separator with a plastic barrel. Works pretty good, but I still need to dump into a plastic bag.

All cans are not the same strength even if they look the same. Can you find a sturdier can? i bought a new 30 gal galvanized can for my 5 hp ClearVue cyclone that caved in on the first test. I switched to a heavier gauge can I had bought years ago. It works fine. Perhaps you can find a source for a stronger can. Sometimes farm stores have better quality.

Use a metal can. Not hard to figure out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I still have the 30 gallon metal trash can that I picked up at the BORG back when I used a separator. Worked fine and plenty strong. The 1HP machine doesn't create that much suction but, the can does have to have some reasonable structural integrity. Most consumer grade plastic trash cans are too lightweight and many commercial plastic bins are heavier than the metal bin I have.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler