Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridal Chest

Kent, gorgeous chest. Never seen sycamore before but I now I love it.
    how is the health and bionic body parts (shoulder, IIRC?) doing?

best regards, patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gallo View Post
    Guys,
    The reason I'm hung up on the cope term is because my rails and stiles do (or will) have a profile on them. I am using a Freud Frame & Panel Ogee Bit Set, that comes with 3 bits. The rail coping bit, the stile(grooving) bit, and the panel raising bit. This set makes a beautiful profile on frame and panels. I have made about 5 doors using this set and I really like the way they look. I don't have a shaper, but I use my router in the table. It takes no skill to cope the rails. I just run the rails iver my router table and the bit cuts the cope cut, which fits perfectly into the profile on the stiles. And the panel raising bit complements the profile on the rails and stiles. My roadblock is figuring out how to make this look right with more than one frame and panel, incorporated into a box.
    Oh - got it. You should be fine with that set of bits.

The vertical parts should be easy - you just profile both sides, and then cope the ends.

Maybe you are wondering about where the end panels meet the leg? [a la my design]? If so, sure seems to me that you just run your profile on both sides of one spare piece, then rip the profiles off the edges to create moldings that you put in place with pins [glue too or instead, of you prefer].

I might be missing something?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Kent, gorgeous chest. Never seen sycamore before but I now I love it.
    how is the health and bionic body parts (shoulder, IIRC?) doing?

best regards, patrick
    Patrick - Kind words - thanks. The key is the "quartersawn" bit. Plain sawn sycamore looks quite boring, to my eye. But - it is used that way - - just two completely different critters.

Hip all ducky. Everyone should get at least one new hip, IMO. Both mine work great - recovery was a breeze.

Shoulder reconstruction tee time is Thurs 28 May at 9:15 am.....till an estimated date in recovery at noon. At least - I will have a nice, long, mid-morning nap, eh?

Curious - do people snore while under gen'l anesthetic? Also - you think the cutter charges by the hour? If so, is there a Flat Rate Book like for a head gasket change?

Thanks for asking...............cannot say I am looking forward to it all that much.

The rest of you guys will be in tall cotton for 6 weeks, while my right arm is immobilized in a sling. THAT will slow down the volume of my time-wasting posts, no?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

OK, I got it now Kent. Thanks so much for clearing it up for me. I was really worried about it and didn't want to screw up expensive wood. I think I will still make a small mockup of the chest using plywood. Thanks again.

Jim - full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.

Again - you want the pdf views of my design from AutoCAD, just send a PM with your email...............

EDIT: Ya know, I have made prototypes twice. Both times, I used good-quality, but inexpensive poplar. Both times, those pieces turned out to be good learning exercises, but on the whole not too bad - and went into service as painted pieces. Just sayin.......
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 05-19-2015 at 11:39 PM.