Thread: 3/8" Air Ratchets

3/8" Air Ratchets

Do 3/8" air ratchets have a "impact" function, or do they only turn the fastener really fast?

Was working on the mower earlier this spring, and could not remove the blade bolts/nuts w/ hand tools due to rust.
    Put the 1/2" impact on them, got them loose/off, but the clearance between the mower deck and shop floor
    was awfully tight for getting the impact on/off the bolt.

Any recommendations as to brand?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Do 3/8" air ratchets have a "impact" function, or do they only turn the fastener really fast?

Was working on the mower earlier this spring, and could not remove the blade bolts/nuts w/ hand tools due to rust.
    Put the 1/2" impact on them, got them loose/off, but the clearance between the mower deck and shop floor
    was awfully tight for getting the impact on/off the bolt.

Any recommendations as to brand?

Thanks
    My 30 year old Craftsman Industrial 3/8" Drive air ratchet does not have a impact feature, it just makes dis-assembly quick and painless. The new ones may have this feature, not sure. Perhaps you could make a couple mini wooden ramps to get the mower a bit higher in order to clear your impact. Using 2x material would give you 1/-3/8" extra clearance.
    Mac

The one I have, admittedly an old one, does not have the impact function. I have a separate air tool that does impact.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Get some universal joints for impact wrenches. Don't bother trying to use standard u-joints--they'll either not work, or come apart.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

My cheapo one (Canadian Tire, I think) - about 6 years old, doesn't have an impact feature - but it's sure handy.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Blog Entries
    An air ratchet is just that: a ratchet wrench with no impact function. I have a 3/8" Dayton (Grainger) that has served me well. Lots of names for them, commonly called a sidewinder around here. I use a come-along to lift the front of my ZT to remove the blades with an impact gun.
    NOW you tell me...

They do make 3/8 inch impacts that are a bit shorter than your 1/2 inch.

Really???? Are you looking for an shallower impact wrench just to remove nut/bolt(s) under the mower deck?? Jack up the mower!

Blog Entries
    Very nice, but at over $500, a bit out of my range.
    NOW you tell me...

Bill / Mac

Incredulous as it may sound - deck height off the floor, etc - but yes - but I had jacked the mower to the limit of the jacks I have/blocks under the
    wheels, etc.

The air ratchet was a thought is all. Could always use it for other tasks as well.

Jim

Put anti-seize on the threads.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

MoJack....