Thread: Clearest non-coloring non-"warming" finish

Clearest non-coloring non-"warming" finish

I searched the forum and it looks like the two best options for a finish that doesn't change the color of the wood at all (or at least as little as possible) are: Deft Lacquer and General Finishes Water Based Poly. Any other or better suggestions?

I've got a spalted Hackberry bowl with some cool colors against the white wood, and I want to maintain that as much as possible.

Lacquer (not just Deft brand) and most water based clear finishes have little effect on color. General's "Wood Turners Finish" is a water based exception to this. If you have spray equipment and temperature / humidity conditions suitable for lacquer, it is a good finish that is easy to apply. Deft lacquer is labeled "brushing lacquer" but it is NOT easy to get a smooth finish with a brush. The instructions on Deft lacquer specify "not for spraying". I think that is intended for compliance with regulations on organic vapor, it works fine when sprayed although I prefer Minwax's product.

Polycrylic is pretty clear and great to build layers since it's dry to the touch in an hour or two. Other than that I would say lacquer
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Lacquer has one big advantage over acrylics - repair-ability. Acrylics require sanding between coats to create a bond. When sanded through you get what is called a lake effect where you can see the edges of the layers. Lacquer melts into the layers, so no lake effect. The thinners in Lacquer can soften finish that has been applied for years, though some sanding on old finishes is recommended. Shellac has a similar effect, but it yellows much more than lacquer.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Acrylic lacquer is non yellowing and can be purchased as a pre cat, post cat or even in ready to spray rattle cans. It is solvent based so care must be taken to avoid inhaling the fumes.
    faust

I don't have spraying equipment, so maybe spray can lacquer is the way to go.

Looks like lacquer needs a sanding sealer. I assume a water based one is the way to go to keep the clearest possible finish?