Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever use actual router bits in your CNC router?

Do you ever use actual router bits in your CNC router?

For those with CNC systems based on "real" routers, do you find any use for standard router bits in your CNC setup? I'm talking about just your average kind of stuff: roundover bits, slot cutters, profiles, dovetails, etc.

I have a collection of maybe two dozen 1/2" bits, and I'm wondering if the ability to use those bits in a new CNC system is important or not.

I use some 1/2 inch ones

I sure do.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Regular router bits? All the time. I have a self imposed policy of never using any bits that have a bearing on them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Absolutely. I use round overs, vcarve, coving, and edging bits all the time - but I agree with Bruce's observation regarding bits with bearings on them.

Edited to add: my CNC has a spindle, not a router - but I can't see what difference that would make.
    Last edited by Roy Harding; 05-18-2015 at 8:15 PM.

Roy, are your bits 1/4" or 1/2", and if the latter, what spindle/system are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Snyder View Post
    Roy, are your bits 1/4" or 1/2", and if the latter, what spindle/system are you using?
    Garth, I have a 1.7 KW HSD spindle with ER25 collet system. The ER25 collets are available in sizes 1/8" through 5/8" in 1/32" increments. I primarily use 1/4" shanked bits but will use 3/8" & 1/2" bits when needed. My surfacing bit is 1 3/4" x 1/2" shank.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Router bits are most of what I use. There are some specialy bits for cutting plastics and soft metals that I use. I haven't used any of the profile bits without bearings because I usually profile edges on a regular router table rathr than the CNC.

I use 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" bits. My system is a Shopbot - I can't remember the spindle type right now - I'll check it when I'm out in the shop later today.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

I used a $10 1/2" Core Box bit on our $100K Morbidelli yesterday, to make a coved Corian backsplash. Sometimes it's a lot quicker and easier to just grab a bit out of the drawer than to order a CNC specific bit and wait for it.
    Gerry

JointCAM

All the time too - 2.2kw 3hp ER20 spindle with 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 router bits and endmills in a Castcnc joes hybrid 4x4 rack and pinion I built myself.

Great ones for me:
    Whiteside ru4700 and rd 4700 1/2 shank 1/4 dia cut spirals up and down depending on u or d
    Other whiteside spiral
    CMT 60 degree Laser v-bit
    Ball nose endmills from enco
    Onsurd O-flute
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've used both Ogee and roundover bits on the CNC. I fully concur with the guys about NOT using bits with the bearings. Most of the time however, I just use my router table. I find it simpler and faster...besides, hold downs with the bits I use can be problematic on the CNC.
    Live Oak Forge
    40W Epilog Mini 18
    Shopbot 32"x24"x6" PRT
    Shopbot 48"x48"x6" PRS
    Next Engine Scanner
    Artcam
    CorelDRAW X5
    Multiple and various other implements of destruction

I grind off the bearing stud and use the round-over bits with an angled plunge and use it to radius the edges on my corian signs, works great! BTW, since most of them are .5" wide at the tip, I just set up the bit as a .5" bit in the tool-path.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

What is different about a CNC bit compared to a router bit?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

CNC router bits are sort of descended from the CNC Milling industry, they tend to be solid carbide and much more durable precise than most carbide tipped woodworking router bits, in general they tend to have a longer cutting life and specific geometries designed to cut certain materials such as Acrylics or Aluminum.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.