Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Platform Bed Design Critique

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    You are referring to the cleats on the inside that the slats sit on?
    No, the actual support rails (head, foot, and sides) themselves.

OK. I'll see what I can get for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Heenie View Post
    ...mattress manufacturers are +/-1" across the spectrum. Because of this it is a good idea to have the mattress on hand to measure. Might also consider the lady that makes the bed and any possible ring on a finger between the mattress and the rail. That and bedding makes an over size cavity for the mattress a good thing. A one or two inch greater length and width are good if space allows.
    Fred, I thought I'd replied already, but apparently I didn't post what I'd typed before. The owners-to-be are actually going mattress hunting this weekend, and they're still undecided about whether to get a standard western style mattress or a futon/shikibuton. In either case, it defintely makes sense to leave the internal dimensions open enough to allow for needed finger/reach space. Effective design in this case includes consideration for OEM tolerances and variances when you have to build something that integrates with someone else's products.

Mike, the side and foot rails are 1 in. thick. The cleats on the inside of the side rails are 3/4 in. thick (forms a 3/4-in.-wide ledge for the slats to sit on. The central rail is 2-1/4 in. wide

Thank you, Dave. From the pictures you'd provided above, I would have guessed those rails were more towards 1-1/2". I feel better now about going with 1-1/4" but will let my eyes make the final decision.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 05-20-2015 at 12:15 AM.