Thread: My Life as an Engraver

1. My Life as an Engraver

Hello everyone! After reading the past 3 years of posts on here I thought I would introduce myself. "My life as an engraver" just started a few days ago with delivery of my new Trotec 400. I have 3 retail stores in this small town, and I installed the new laser in my art gallery/gift shop/framing store, not in the back workshop, but right in the store where people can watch it. I bought the laser for the sole purpose of cutting more intricate designs in matting. I'm not planning to do custom engraving, nametags, signs or trophys, but rather to create unique products for my retail locations.

After just a few days of experience it seems like the big learning curve won't be with the laser, but more with the vector software, Illustrator and Corel Draw. I just hope I have enough living brain cells to relearn Illustrator again. lol

Thanks,

Bob
    Trotec Speedy 400 100w w/ Rotary attachment
    .................................................. .......................
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.
    For fun: Miller mig welder, Lincoln tig welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    For photography: Phase 1 P65+, Epson 9800, Epson 7900, 3 Shinko dye subs

Welcome and good Luck!
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Just throwing out a guess here, but will most of your customers be riding Harley's in a couple months.
    Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Bruce on the East side of SD
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Bob

Welcome and congratulations on your machine selection. I've had a Trotec for years and love it.

As for the CorelDraw, there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube. One fellow I particularly like is Alex Galvez.

I'm doing some work for a biker who comes up your way every year. This is the 75th anniversary of the Sturgis event and he wants that engraved on a number of things he's made so he can sell them and pay for his trip. (he wanted some Harley stuff too but I shot that down immediately)

Good luck with your new venture.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm not sure I'd want my laser right out in front of everyone.

First thing that comes to mind is you typically don't want the customer to see the magic behind the curtain. It's hard to charge $25 for something that takes 5 minutes.

Second thing that comes to mind is the risk of having customers around the laser. Are they going to stare right into the beam? The smell from the materials going to bother a customer? Will the noise of the machine become an annoyance? Also just having the general public, including children, around a 35k piece of equipment can be unnerving.

Last thing is from an operator's point of view. I'd hate having all the distractions around me. More often than not, engraving is a one time thing. If you make a mistake, it's time to start over again. A distracted operator will make mistakes and mistakes cost money. It's already easy enough to make mistakes in this industry.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Chinese Harley's Bruce (see other thread LOL )

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Just throwing out a guess here, but will most of your customers be riding Harley's in a couple months.

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Welcome Bob,

I have a Sister and Brother in Law in Sturgis and a Brother in Rapid City.
    We all moved there back in 1973 when our dad was stationed at Ellsworth AFB.
    I miss it very much and hope to move back someday.

Gozzie
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bob

Welcome and congratulations on your machine selection. I've had a Trotec for years and love it.

As for the CorelDraw, there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube. One fellow I particularly like is Alex Galvez.

I'm doing some work for a biker who comes up your way every year. This is the 75th anniversary of the Sturgis event and he wants that engraved on a number of things he's made so he can sell them and pay for his trip. (he wanted some Harley stuff too but I shot that down immediately)

Good luck with your new venture.
    Thanks Mike, we are the ones who take the official group picture every day for the Sturgis Rally (and a few others). This year, with a very large crowd expected, I'm simply going to offer custom mat and frame combinations with the group pictures we sell. I'm treating it as a learning experience. I should have bought the laser 6 months ago. We have a cnc mat cutter, but of course you don't get the detail.

Bob
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.

I disagree somewhat. First off he said he's making custom and unique mat designs for his art gallery and not making gifts and stuff like that. So I think it would be interesting for the public to see how it was created , But I also think its important that they know what went into creating the design in the first place. The hours it took sitting at the computer designing it. The time it took to learn the software. The cost of the laser to do the actual cutting. Most people just see a finished product and haven't a clue as to what went into getting it that way. I wish that people saw what I put into making an engraved Mirror that I do for the vets. like I said I give most of my stuff away but I sell these mirrors I do to help pay for all my materials. you guys would disown me if you knew what I sell these for. Seriously I barley cover the cost of the material that goes in it. I get nothing for me and nothing for my machine, I guess I'm an idiot but I love doing it. If I make 3 dollars over cost that goes right back to buying more Mirrors, wood, stain, poly, . So the point is people need to see what goes into it. Ross you say its hard to justify $25 for 5 mins in the laser. Take that 5 min item and start the process from the beginning. How much time to design that item. How much time and money to order and buy the material, how much time to do finishing to that item after engraving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post

First thing that comes to mind is you typically don't want the customer to see the magic behind the curtain. It's hard to charge $25 for something that takes 5 minutes.

Second thing that comes to mind is the risk of having customers around the laser. Are they going to stare right into the beam? The smell from the materials going to bother a customer? Will the noise of the machine become an annoyance? Also just having the general public, including children, around a 35k piece of equipment can be unnerving.

Last thing is from an operator's point of view. I'd hate having all the distractions around me. More often than not, engraving is a one time thing. If you make a mistake, it's time to start over again. A distracted operator will make mistakes and mistakes cost money. It's already easy enough to make mistakes in this industry.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post

Hi Ross,

I appreciate your comments, but I think I have a perfect location here. It's actually on a platform in the back of the store. I will design two custom workbenches, one for computer and storage and one for a work surface and display / exhibit area facing the store. When I'm done the laser will be about 10 feet away from any customers. I frequently take new framing customers into my 3,000 sq. ft. workshop. I like to show them how serious we are about framing. For ventilation I'm using a 3 phase 3hp blower with VFD for speed control. Seems to work perfectly. So far, I'm very happy with the setup and the reaction I'm getting from customers.

Bob

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gosnell View Post
    Welcome Bob,

I have a Sister and Brother in Law in Sturgis and a Brother in Rapid City.
    We all moved there back in 1973 when our dad was stationed at Ellsworth AFB.
    I miss it very much and hope to move back someday.

Gozzie
    Gozzie,

If they live in Sturgis I probably know them, it's a small town thing ya know.

Bob

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post

Hi Neighbor!

I think this will be a very good summer here in Sturgis. But this fall, the City will tear up Main Street for two years of road construction, so we'll probably all go broke. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Davis - Sturgis SD View Post
    ...t's actually on a platform in the back of the store. I will design two custom workbenches, one for computer and storage and one for a work surface and display / exhibit area facing the store. When I'm done the laser will be about 10 feet away from any customers...
    You may want to suspend a large mirror over the laser at an angle. This would make it easy for customers to see and may draw more attention from the front of the store back to the laser and it's capabilities. It'll also help you to keep a secure eye on the laser from anywhere in the store. Or like Steve (Scott Shepherd) did, mount a camera and a big screen TV.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 05-19-2015 at 12:41 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries

Also just having the general public, including children, around a 35k piece of equipment can be unnerving.
    I agree with all of the above.

Second thing that comes to mind is the risk of having customers around the laser. Are they going to stare right into the beam? The smell from the materials going to bother a customer? Will the noise of the machine become an annoyance?
    I don't agree with this last bit. If they are staring into the laser beam itself, your enclosure is broken. Staring at the resultant fire isn't a problem. Smell and noise should only be a problem if the dust collection is not working well and in the same room, something we can't assume.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5