Thread: Matching door casing and box beams to hardwood floor

Matching door casing and box beams to hardwood floor

My wife and I are in the final stages of building our house. We have Rubio Monocoat in Slate Grey on our White Oak floors. We have White Oak door casings and box beams going in, which we would like to color match to the floor. Is it possible to "color match" a dye or stain to an existing color? Can you take a sample of the color you want somewhere and have it matched like you can do with paint? Would I be in more of a trial and error situation? Or, would it make more sense to just use the same finish on the casing and beams as the floor?

Since one surface is vertical and the other horizontal even a perfect match will look different in different lighting. I would
    use the more standard two color plan.

If you can use that finish on floors, I don't see why you couldn't use it on trim. The only factor that will give you any color difference will be the solid wood itself and you would have the same problem trying to color match with a dye or stain.

An interior decorator would say " wonderful idea ,but the floor color will needed to be weighted a little". Translation: the floor needs to be a little darker.

I agree with Mel, the floor should be darker. Why not try a couple of things on some scrap. One approach would be to apply a wash coat of dewaxed shellac and then the Rubio Monocoat. That may give you a slightly lighter color. The other approach would be to sand your new wood to 220 grit or even finer, and then apply the Rubio Monocoat. Sanding it more should result in less stain absorption. You also can play around with the time you leave it on before wiping it off to get the hue you want. I think you can get a shade you like using the same stuff as on the floor.

John

Sherwin Williams has a litte device that scans the color and comes up with a darn close match. I'm no decorator and my wife won't let me make any choices, so my advice on floor shade is useless.

Thanks guys for the responses. I took the sample and a piece of scrap in to the local SW for them to try to match the color. As suggested I'll shoot for a little lighter than the floor. I'll let you know how it comes out.