Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If You Could Have One New Feature On Your Lathe.....

I think all lathes should have the on-off switch mounted somewhere other than the headstock. Having to reach around to the headstock to turn the lathe on puts you in the line of fire at the most dangerous time, and if something goes wrong as you are turning, you have to reach around it to turn it off.

Interesting to note the number of comments about dust collection at the lathe. Given what it would cost for an efficient hood, I would think many would opt to make their own. Perhaps it is time to show this one again. Next upgrade will be a 200 gallon or so sized plastic barrel/container that stays mounted on the lathe. I would have baffles that are removable for when turning dry or long things, and one for when I am sanding bowls. An end cap as well for bowl sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A

The 'big gulp' type cups/vents just do about half the job, and after looking at Craft Supplies 'black hole' hood, I had to laugh, in part because of the price of the thing. I remember Oneway having a hood as well, but I never looked at the price, but probably way beyond reasonable for most of us. Heck, a cardboard box will work just as well. Only real problem is mounting them.

Other than that, I think, for safety reasons, it would be nice to see an on/off switch that would reset to 0 when turned off so you can't accidentally start your lathe up, having forgotten to turn the speed down. Probably more of a beginner thing, but it still happens some times. Probably worst offender, is the DVR which is so slow for the ramp up/ramp down speed changes. Not bad if you are used to it, but when you aren't, and lathe is set at high speed when you turn it on, things go flying.

I do like the idea of being able to 'push button' change the height of your lathe. Might be difficult to do though. My accountant has her desk on hydraulic risers. If the lathe legs are splayed, it would be more difficult, and keeping it level on all 4 feet would be difficult as well. Maybe you need the standing area to be movable...

robo hippy

A brake band or disk that could lock the spindle in any position for sanding, carving, or whatever.

An extra stop switch located at the tail-stock end (not difficult to retrofit but could be factory installed).
    Making the ways with a ledge on the outside in addition to the inside would provide a path to the cross slide mentioned previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    Bring back an option of a cross slide etc like an old pattern makers lathe.
    Or at least make the cross slide an optional accessory item. I finally jury rigged up a system for my lathes using old cross slides from old metal lathes.

Hybrid - Electricity or Natural Gas
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

How about a large complete first aid kit permanently mounted conveniently.

8. I feel quite fortunate in that I bought a new model of my Vicmarc the VL150 I buy as a bench short lathe short as I provide my own motor 3 phase a VFD with variable pot to enable 240 volt in 415v out.I sit fairly high on a draughtsman swivel chair and run the motor on the rear of the bench top through the back of the head stock. I use an in line fan with a good strong throughput immediately above the lathe to remove any CA fumes and a workshop vacuum cleaner with a small cycone in line for chip and dust extraction that way I get what I want, I believe each person needs to tailor the lathe to suit the user. I have pics of my setting up, it works for me.

Kind regards Peter.

I would like some kind of crank to raise/lower the tool rest without having to set down the tool I just picked up and use both hands - one to adjust the rest while the other loosens and then tightens the clamp. It would need to push up from the base of the post so that custom rests still work properly. Probably make the banjo too thick though....
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

In addition to good dust collection I would like a handwheel on the headstock. the outboard end of the headstock spindle on mine is not threaded so it's going to take a bit of thought to come up with a secure method of mounting one I could make.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project