Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Have One New Feature On Your Lathe.....

If You Could Have One New Feature On Your Lathe.....

If you could ask the lathe manufactures for something added to your lathe what would it be?....I can think of several things but I'll say.....Two or more outlets on the lathe to plug in an accessory...A drill, a task light, etc.

Manufacturers might like to know some of our answers.....

Some type of serious or effective dust collection hood/system that looks as if it was engineered to be integrated to the machine. CSUSA is advertising an interesting bolt-on aftermarket system called the Black Hole that looks as if it could be half-way decent. Wish the mfg's took the issue of dust collection a little more serious. Could be wrong but I think Oneway is the only mfg. doing anything on the issue.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    If you could ask the lathe manufactures for something added to your lathe what would it be?....I can think of several things but I'll say.....Two or more outlets on the lathe to plug in an accessory...A drill, a task light, etc.

Manufacturers might like to know some of our answers.....
    Bring back an option of a cross slide etc like an old pattern makers lathe.

I would love to have legs that adjust at the touch of a button. It would be great to be able to raise the lathe up several inches to free hand hollow on HF's and lower it for the rest of ones turning. I really like the outlet ideal. I have a bracket on the back of my Oneway lathe that I might just have to add some outlets to some day.
    Jack

legs sprayed out instead straight up and down.....I am of average height so I fit most lathe height, but adjustable height would be helpful......just get a room full of turners together and you will see there is no physical norm

A way to easily attach a jig securely. Such as a jig for routing flutes in a spindle using indexing.

autopilot
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I have a shelf setting on the upper flanges in the legs and a four foot power strip attached to it edge and another overhead, so power and lighting are not issues. Easily adjustable legs is another matter. I'm 5'7 which in my dad's day was average, but today is short. I do hollowing and spindle work as well as bowls and find that while the height is fine for some things its not so good for others.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I think dust collection is a crucial issue that has yet to be taken seriously by most lathe manufacturers. They must think it's someone else's problem.

I have long admired patternmaker a lathes and would welcome a cross slide, especially if it could hold a router at a variety of angles.

An ankle shackle to keep me at th lathe and not distracted with other things (even...do we even meantion....FLAT work!).
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

A modernized copy of the Union Graduate jr. lathe with a 20" swing and variable speed ect.

A PTO from the motor or outboard to snap in flex-shaft sanding discs.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Very simple thing - a few well-placed holes for attaching accessories such as lights, extraction hood, copying aids, sandpaper holders etc.

Blog Entries
    Integrated dust collection (that actually worked) would be a top contender for me.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Right now I'd trade all of that for a decent motor that didn't go belly up in 6 years...

But I'd like to be able to adjust the tailstock like they can do on metal lathes to get the centers EXACTLY lined up.

Maybe I'm just not buying from the right manufacturer.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain