Thread: Veneer application on a less than perfect surface

Veneer application on a less than perfect surface

I have a question about the application and prep of the surface for veneer. My wife and I decided to purchase an executive desk from a guy on Craigslist (bad idea). After getting it home and getting the flooring polish off of the top. I realized that the individual decided at some point to scrape the original clear coat and stain off with a screw driver and a crappy sand job. They went all the way through the old veneer to the plywood in spots with the sanding and scraped so far into the original veneer that there is no saving it.

Do I need to completely remove the old veneer? If so, how would you suggest going about this.

Is it possible to sand the current veneer clean and apply over it?

Any answers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have a some knowledge of veneer use but only when being used on a brand new surface.

Thank you for your assistance,

Brynn Merboth

My first action would be to take it back and get my money back. If I was forced to fix it I would seriously consider making an entire new top rather than trying to remove the old veneer and reveneer. If you are forced to deal with the current top you could sand or hand plane off the old veneer until you have a clean, flat surface, or even use a router sled to do it.

John

Blog Entries
    +1 on making new being easier than restoring. Unless the top being original adds value to the piece I would build new.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler