Thread: Ricon's 10" Tablesaw

Ricon's 10" Tablesaw

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_tablesaws.html

Hey all, I'm helping a friend find an affordable saw and I came across this new open stand 10" model from Ricon today. I would like any opinions out there and let me start by saying I usually avoid any and all products made in China (lets not have that discussion) but this saw looked pretty darn good for $900. It has an internal motor like a cabinet saw, comes with a built in mobile base, has a decent fence and the fit and finish was impressive too. Anyone have one of these yet? I think they must be pretty new on the market.

Nice looking saw, but for less money he can get the Grizzly G0771 Hybrid saw. [$625.00 on sale] It has an enclosed cabinet which is a huge help with dust extraction. I have Rikon tools, 14" band saw and a 6X48 belt sander and they have been great but I like to get the most bang for my buck. BTW I also recently purchased the Grizzly G0771 table saw and am very impressed with it. The Grizz also has a 2 h.p. motor compared to the Rikon 1.5.
    Last edited by daryl moses; 05-20-2015 at 7:20 AM.

Not new, but never gained much market share. Looks very similar to the Steel City 35990C. Cabinet mounted trunnions and solid cast wings are a plus, but the fence isn't great. Since SC has closed it's doors, I'd want to check on the Rikon's future availability and parts.

The Grizzly G0771 is worth a look IMO.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have its granite topped cousin. The Saw itself is terrific. Sharp blades and the smaller motor does well anyway. The one thing about that saw that would make me look elsewhere is the pos fence. I had the exact fence and replaced it with a shop fox classic fence. That split front rail is murder keeping it aligned to the miter slot and blade... I have had kickback near miss events several times because when the fence puts pressure on both sides of the split, the little plastic doohickey simply isn't strong enough for the pressure and the fence misaligns. The other shortcoming, which isn't nearly as bad as the cheap junk mine came with, is the guard. I would upgrade to a Sharkguard. It is a well built and easily seen through addition. So now that you've added those $400 dollars worth of upgrades to simply make it serviceable you are able to get way more saw for the same money at Grizzly or others...

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Nice looking saw, but for less money he can get the Grizzly G0771 Hybrid saw. [$625.00 on sale] It has an enclosed cabinet which is a huge help with dust extraction. I have Rikon tools, 14" band saw and a 6X48 belt sander and they have been great but I like to get the most bang for my buck. BTW I also recently purchased the Grizzly G0771 table saw and am very impressed with it. The Grizz also has a 2 h.p. motor compared to the Rikon 1.5.
    Same here. The Griz G0771 has to near the head of the pack as far as bang for the buck goes.

Ive got the 0771. So far I can't say anything bad about it.

For that kind of money, I would consider one of the Grizzly saws. I recently acquired a one-owner Polar Bear series 0715 machines. It is a cabinet style saw with decent 220 volt power, quiet, and good price. I imagine it has better dust collection that an open stand model, which is similar to the contractor-style machines like the one pictured.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

Ridgid has a 10" table saw with a cast iron table for around $500. Maybe not as good as this or the grizzly but definitely an option to consider depending on your use case.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 05-21-2015 at 9:49 PM.