Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presbyopia and High Accuracy Woodworking

Presbyopia and High Accuracy Woodworking

When I was in my late 40's early 50's, I took a short hiatus from woodworking to go back to school for a PhD. When I finished the degree and got back to woodworking, I learned that Mother Nature had played a trick on me. My eyes were not the same as before. I could not see the fine detail I used to see. To compensate, I purchased some accuracy in the form of digital readouts from Wixey and digital calipers of various forms. I also learned about the 5 cut method for multiplying crosscut error so that I could set up my saws more accurately. The end result is that I am a much more accurate woodworker than I was when I could see better. There is an unexpected benefit from the accuracy. I am spending less money on sandpaper. Life is good.

TW

One step back leads to two steps forward.

Plus - You got me to get out the online dictionary.

Good luck............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Yeah, the eyes go bad with age. One of my solutions has been binocular loupes. You get a bunch of magnification (like 3x), but the focal distance is long enough that sharp tools aren't threatening. Ones that are qualified for surgery are a thousand dollars. But ones for dental hygienists or beauticians (think manicures) are less than a hundred.

loupe.jpg
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 05-20-2015 at 1:23 AM.

Very bright lighting will make the most of what you have.

When your pupil dilates, the depth of field perceived will shrink.

When your pupil constricts (as in bright light) your depth perception
    increases. I find that few tasks - sharpening saws with small teeth for instance -
    require magnification.

When you're REALLY nearsighted (me, like Tom Clancy was) magnifying glasses as shown above are ineffective.

For me, a magnifying lamp that both eyes look through works best.

Blog Entries
    Great to hear of a positive effect of old age . I new I was getting better instead of older.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Seems to be the norm Thomas. Peculiarly enough i also spent a few years buried on a PhD (technology management), and at the end of it found that my eye sight had significantly disimproved. Think the large amounts of computer and short focal distance work (reading) mess things up - the musles that control focusing of the lens get so they can't relax. As does stress. A few months off reading helped my eyes enormously.

I've run into three separate issues - my shortest focal distance is longer than that needed for close work, so that requires glasses. As Jim I need huge amont of high intensity lighting. Whether it's cause or effect, i also find i now have a problem reading a finely divided rule properly - the eyes can't decide which mark is which and seem to keep on hunting back and forwards. Thyroid trouble can lead to very similar issues..

A quick look suggests that loupes go from junk to OTT in terms of cost and quality. Can you recommend a brand and source for the ones you have Jamie?

Thanks for the responses. I knew I was not alone in this group with the problem of old eyes. I have also added some more lights and I have an inexpensive magnifying headset to help with the eyesight. I am fairly nearsighted so taking off my bifocals still allows me to focus up very close. The problem is just the loss of convenience. I can't see up close and far away without changing the glasses. The inexpensive digital measuring tools have helped avoid some of the close work. I don't have to see the saw tooth and the scribed line on the piece so closely. I can actually trust the readout which I can still see. I still mark the work but I don't have get down to see that I am splitting the line. I can just look to see that I am not an inch off which is a different aging problem.

I am really working on high accuracy techniques. I use digital calipers more often than a tape measure or rule. I use a calculator more. The quality of the work is better, there really is less work in adjusting things for final fit, and it is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    .. Can you recommend a brand and source for the ones you have Jamie?
    Unfortunately, no. The name on my loupes is Joy-Sight. I bought them from a beautician-supply company that doesn't seem to exist any more. In a quick zoom around the web, I don't see any products that look exactly like them. IIRC, they cost like $60 ten years ago.

My dentist now wears binocular loupes. His undoubtedly cost a lot more than mine; doctor's anything costs a lot. But his also have a really bright light on them. That might be a useful feature for you.

Ta Jamie - will have a dig on the web...

I'm nearing 46 and my up-close vision has gone into the toilet. It really really really stinks but I guess I'll cope...everyone else seems to. Distance is still 20/20.

These from Amazon work pretty good and are reasonably comfortable.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My eyes are like Chris, still have good distance vision, can't focus up close. I wear reading glasses in the shop. Started with 1.25, now 2.5.

http://www.magnifier.com/hands_free_magnifier.htm features some low cost options.

I'm not sure about the low-cost options, but I can vouch for Orascoptics. Mine are 2.5x, and I'm hoping to get 3.5x or 4x sometime.
    They're pricey, but well worth it. The best loupes can make a huge difference.

Have you thought of a swingarm magnifier/light?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'm nearing 46 and my up-close vision has gone into the toilet. It really really really stinks but I guess I'll cope...everyone else seems to. Distance is still 20/20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    My eyes are like Chris, still have good distance vision, can't focus up close. I wear reading glasses in the shop. Started with 1.25, now 2.5.
    Same boat, here. I had Lasik about seven years ago and the opthamologist told me you, "You can choose either near or far, but not both because once you're in your 40's, the eye loses it's elasticity and ability to adapt to both near and far". Great distance vision but I wear reading glasses for fine work. I keep a few pairs of the el-cheapo Walgreens +1.25 or +1.50's in the garage. Lose a pair, find a pair. Works for me.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

These from Amazon work pretty good and are reasonably comfortable.
    You're lucky to still have good distance vision. I've had to wear glasses for distance since the age of 8-and now 50+ my near vision is going too.