Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joining angled legs for coffee table

joining angled legs for coffee table

I want to make coffee table, and I have no idea how to joing the legs to be angled, not 45 degrees.
    Here is sample of what i want to do.Dow-Oak-live-edge-slab-coffee-tables1.jpg
    I am working with hand tools only, so i want to know whats the best way to do it?
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-20-2015 at 4:02 PM.

What part of it are you struggling with? The m&t stretcher or what? Forgive me, but it all seems obvious to me so I can't figure out what you need to know.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Hi Mark,

I have made similar tables, and they way I do it is pretty simple. It looks like you have one angle to worry about in the above photo- the angle of the stretcher and the top mortise should be the same. Choose your angle and set your bevel gauge to match. I like to cut out a "test guide angle" on a piece of 2x4 or other scrap- I then clamp this test piece on top of my work piece and use it as a chisel or drill guide (see photo).

Easier to show than spell out!

Matt

step one: set angle and cut scrap to match:

step 2: clamp scrap to real piece and chop away:

To cut the other end of the hole (and get the angle correct), flip the board over and transfer markings.

Hidden mortice in the slab with stub tenons on the legs. To me its optional whether you want to go with a slanted mortice and straight tenon or a tenon that is slanted and a mortice that is square to the slab. For me, I would go with the square to the slab mortice and cut the tenon at an angle to fit

I'd do the stretcher/leg mortises as Matt's done.

If you want to cheat at this, you can rip the two legs in half then make your angled mortises in each half and reglue around the stretcher. Just sayin'.

Also, you don't really have to mortise the tops for the legs if you don't want; there's an argument to be made for a center stretcher at the top out of sight and then turn-buttons to connect the top to the base. The cross grain mortises in the top can be less than fun to chop out for the chisel-challenged like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I'd do the stretcher/leg mortises as Matt's done.

If you want to cheat at this, you can rip the two legs in half then make your angled mortises in each half and reglue around the stretcher. Just sayin'..
    Without cheating like this I don't think you could put it together with a M&T joint at the stretcher to legs and the angled M&T in the slab to leg joint unless you are OK with really loose joints

From what i have read i think i am not ready for this to be honest. I am sure i can make a mess at some point , and i am not experienced with mortises and tenons. I have done for example 3 leg stools, a small table with 4 small angled legs and few hand planes, but this is big.
    Maybe its better for start to make a table with 45 angle legs. Here is what a plan to use.ttttttttttt.jpg
    Second from left is beach and i will cut it in half for the legs, and for the top i wil use the piece far right wich is walnut.
    Question is: join them with m&t or with pegs.
    When i feel ready for angled legs, i will know where to look next time .
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 05-20-2015 at 4:04 PM.

You can do straight legs if you prefer a slightly less challenge. That might look fine for you.

I would not (personally) do 45 degrees. Leg splay is deceptive. 5-7 degrees looks a lot steeper than you'd think. 45 deg might look too steep to (my) eye.

Assuming you have access to some inexpensive construction grade lumber, use it to practice and make a model. That way you can do your learning and practice on some inexpensive wood where a mistake won't matter. You might also make a practice piece with straight legs. Who knows, you might like the looks of that better.

True that, few degrees can make a lot of change to the final look.
    As Mark said tomorrow i will make some tests on scrappy wood and find the best way that suits me from the tips you posted.
    btw: I seen prices of this types of tables and they can rich up to 1500 dolars. Why is that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Without cheating like this I don't think you could put it together with a M&T joint at the stretcher to legs and the angled M&T in the slab to leg joint unless you are OK with really loose joints
    I believe it would have to assemble as such;

Loose pre-assembly of stretchers to uprights (leave tusk wedges out).
    Assemble top onto base and as the top draws down flush it should pull the uprights in tight and seated on the stretcher.
    Finally the wedges would be installed into the tusk tenons.

Or, use Prashun's approach of a hidden stretcher and battens under the top which will also work nicely.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Almeidus View Post
    True that, few degrees can make a lot of change to the final look.
    As Mark said tomorrow i will make some tests on scrappy wood and find the best way that suits me from the tips you posted.
    btw: I seen prices of this types of tables and they can rich up to 1500 dolars. Why is that?
    Make one and you will know.

Kidding aside, these are rarely as dead simple as they look, and the lumber often contributes heavily toward the price.

If i make one I will be happy to sell for 200$ considering i got all this pieces for 11$ .
    i came to an idea (not sure if anyone posted it here) to make both sides of the legs angled and paralel, each leg to have two tenons. That way i dont have to worry about the angle of the mortise (it will be 45 degrees)

tm1.jpg
    Here is a picture for better idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Mark,

if that is the lumber you have at your disposal it may be interesting to see the top as a live edge, the legs 90 degrees to the base with the edges cut straight, then use #4 from the left as the stretcher, leaving the shape as is and simply cutting tenons into it.

it would be an interesting nod to timberframe done in the same manner, sometimes main beams in timberframe are left with their natural shapes rather than being cut flat.

Some of this terms i have no clear idea what they mean, for example stretcher and what is #4?
    Is this what u mean?

images.jpg 90 degree legs and just cut normal tenons and mortises.
    Ofcourse i am goint to use the top and legs as it is(no flattening)