Thread: Help drilling metal, please

Help drilling metal, please

I'm typically hanging out with the Neanderthals, but currently working on restoring a 1966 Wilton vise and need some help. One of the inner parts had a broken pin I need to drill out and replace. I assume the part is cast iron, but not sure what the pin is made from. The hole size is 3/32". I've tried HSS and Irwin Cobalt. I've tried speeds from 570 to 1390. Barely a dimple. Photos below show the minimal progress and a look at the pin from the inside. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you need any further photos or info, please let me know.
    Thank you!

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Slow speed and don't forget the cutting oil. The casting could be an issue some heat treated metal
    can be nearly impossible to drill through.

This advice from a woodworker with "some" experience with metal but I completely defer to any others
    who are smarter on the subject than I.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

The Pin appears to be a press or shrink fit and can probably be driven out with a suitable punch or pressed out with an arbor press. If all else fails take it to a machine shop and have them EDM it out.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Spent another 30 minutes SLOWLY drilling with cutting oil and got nowhere. I think I'll try the punch and then off to a machine shop. I did email a replacement part supplier...might have luck just replacing it...we'll see.
    Thanks again!
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Creech View Post
    The Pin appears to be a press or shrink fit and can probably be driven out with a suitable punch or pressed out with an arbor press. If all else fails take it to a machine shop and have them EDM it out.
    My thoughts as well.

What does EDM mean?

Elec. discharge machine. Uses an electrode to "burn" out the object.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

A solid carbide drill will cut that pin, as will a solid carbide center cutting end mill. Both available @MSC. Make a rigid set up, and stub up on tooling. No free hand drilling, use a drill press. Carbide is hard, but the trade off is brittleness.

Also recommend punching/pressing the pin out as noted above. However, set the cast iron piece on a block of wood, rather than on metal, since the wood would soften the impact somewhat & reduced the chance of any cracking of the cast iron if it were to be placed on metal.
    Also, if the hole should "enlargen" while removing it, you could substitute a roll pin if you cannot redrill/ream for the next size pin.

You can got the quality drill from Ebay or another. There are so many online shopping sites where you can replace your drill or other tools.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 06-09-2015 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Advert