Thread: Loose hoops on Japanese chisels

Loose hoops on Japanese chisels

Just set the hoops on some new Koyamaichi chisels a few days ago. Pounded the gummi handles with a hammer to get the hoops on about 1/16", tapped hoops on tight with wood end of the LV chisel iron hammer, soaked end in hot water for 20', mushroomed top edge with metal head of LV chisel hammer, and the hoops were on tight. 2 days later, the hoops are loose in that they can be spun around the handle. They won't fall off the handle, they just spin. Should I be concerned? Seems like it shouldn't be a problem, but I thought I'd check. Thanks.

Brad

The hot water soak could be the problem.

ken

When that happens to me, I will reset the chisel hoops, pounding them down further, soaking the ends in water, and further mushrooming the top. If after re-pounding the hoops down, there is too much handle sticking up, I saw off the excess before mushrooming.

I also use this chisel hoop setting tool. Makes things a little easier pounding the hoops. Around $25 at Japan Woodworker and other retailers.

156606.jpg

Mine had the hoops set as received, so I only know what i've read. It sounds like yours were reasonably tight as delivered ('pounded the handles to get the hoops on'), so maybe they just need more hammering on the outer rim of the top to flare/tighten them a bit more? The water presumably only softens the wood to make the flaring easier, once it dries out any swelling effect seems likely to mostly disappear.

If all the chisels were the same and the hoops were smooth and right way around, didn't remove wood going on and are not dropping down the handle - might it seem unlikely that there is an underlying fit problem?
    Last edited by ian maybury; 05-21-2015 at 6:04 PM.

Wrap postcard or bond paper (depending on the required thickness) around the handle and drive the hoop on. Trim off the excess paper.

Stan