Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen Sink

The Kitchen Sink

This probably isn't the place for this, so moderators please move to the appropriate forum.

So, I was at the sink the other day, and many other days in my lifetime, and a recurrent thought keeps coming up. In a two sink configuration, why is the garbage disposal always in the left sink? OK, I'm sure someone has seen something different, but "something different" is not the norm.

From very young, I, and everyone else I've known, always wash in the right sink and rinse/dry in left sink. After washing there always seems to be food residue remaining in the right sink. So, since the left sink is full of drying dishes, you can't grind it, you must trash it. Which to me, defeats the purpose of having the disposal in the first place.

So, is there a kitchen design reason for this? Just thinking of design reasons for a new kitchen. Are the dishwasher drain lines not long enough to reach across both sinks?

Hmmmm?

I know this sounds weird, but just think about it.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    My disposal is under the right half of a double sink.

I have a Kohler "Efficiency" double porcelain sink that has an offset faucet position with disposal on the right and my daughter has a stock double stainless steel sink in her starter home with it's disposal mounted in the right sink by the builder.

This is good to hear. I live in nowhere Ohio, after traveling all over for the last 37 years, and I can say that every house I have been in, the disposal was in the left sink.

So, no real reason, except it has always been that way, in most cases?
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 05-21-2015 at 10:02 PM.

For right handed people (the majority) the dishes are normally stacked to the right, washed in the right sink, and rinsed with running water in the left sink, stacked to dry on the left. I think the mentality is that you can use the disposer while the right sink is filled with water.

If you want the disposer on the right it is actually not that hard to switch. Either $300 for a plumber or a days worth of labor and three trips to the hardware store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I think the openings in both side of my sink are pretty much identical so I could have installed the disposal on either side. But like you, I tend to make more mess on the right side so it made sense to me to put the disposal there.

I am remodeling the kitchen and new countertops and a sink are in the plan. "forever" my wife uses a dish drainer in the right hand half of the sink. We wash in the left, rinse into either sink and place the dishes in the dish drainer. The house we are in has the garbage disposal under the right hand half - the half where the dish drainer sits. The house plumbing is such that this is by far the correct location for our house. The problem is that we never used the garbage disposal and it froze up. I have gone through a couple of garbage disposal and they freeze up from lack of use.

I looked at the plumbing to see about moving the garbage disposal and it would be difficult. So I suggested to the wife unit that we put the drainer in the left half and wash in the right half. When we get done washing we can run the garbage disposal.

We have lived for ever washing on the left and drainer in the right. The wife agreed to try the other way - hard to teach old dogs new tricks. It was really difficult but I believe we have adjusted. It is humorous to me the years we have gone without implementing this simple change.

Part of our established lifestyle is to compost all vegetable matter. Meat and bones go directly into the trash so we really don't have a large need for a disposal.

Good question - we all have our own answers.

My previous house the disposal was on the right side of the double sink. My current house has no disposal as they are generally not recommended with septic systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    For right handed people (the majority) the dishes are normally stacked to the right, washed in the right sink, and rinsed with running water in the left sink, stacked to dry on the left.
    ^^^ THis ^^^

From the standpoint of process efficiency, for right-handed people, this is the most efficient layout. Now - most people don't think about how to wash dishes more efficiently, but some of us cannot help ourselves. My coffee maker, coffee mugs, and milk in the fridge are all arranged such that I can pour my coffee and add milk much more efficiently that you guys. As if anyone actually cares.........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

we always put them in the right

My GD is in the right half of a double-basin sink. And we wash right-to-left as well, for items that don't go in the dishwasher, which is immediately to the right of the sink.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

LOL, mine is on the right, as well.

How can you possibly wash dished in the right hand bowl of a sink? It makes my head hurt to even thing about it. I've always washed on the left, stacked in the right. (the bowl on the right is also much smaller than the one on the left). Every commercial kitchen I've ever worked in had a three bowl sink, wash on the left, rinse in the middle, hot/disinfect rinse on the left. Our sink came with a dish rack that fit into the right hand bowl, they don't make one for the left suggesting not everyone washes in the right!

Needless to say I put the disposal on the left, as it wouldn't be much use with dished piled on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    ... I live in nowhere Ohio...
    You're right. I grew up in Marietta, and I think the only place I've been smaller than Little Hocking, is Torch, just down Rt 7 from you guys...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Ours is on the right-hand side. My guess (and this is only a guess, mind you) is they put the disposal on the same side as the dishwasher to make piping easier.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5