Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Kitchen Sink

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    My previous house the disposal was on the right side of the double sink. My current house has no disposal as they are generally not recommended with septic systems.
    Hmm, never heard of this. We built our house in 1992 with sink disposal and on a septic system. In 23 years never had a single problem with the septic system.

Blog Entries
    My previous house the disposal was on the right side of the double sink. My current house has no disposal as they are generally not recommended with septic systems.
    Not the problem you would think. I don't dump huge amounts down my disposer, which is on the right by the way. Been using a disposer in my home for 40 years, pumped my tank 3 times in that time period (plan in pumping again this year). Yes I am knocking on wood as I type this. Only time I had a problem with a disposer was clogging the interior plumbing early on when eggshells and corn husks got ground up. Folks freak out first time they are on a septic system, but they are really a good way to handle sewage.
    NOW you tell me...

Personally can't stand those double-bowl sinks, seems like a complete inefficient use of space. One large basin is much better for washing out pots and pans, cutting boards, salad bowls, etc.

Everything else except wooden stuff goes in the dishwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    My disposal is under the right half of a double sink.
    My parents house - same.
    My house only has a single sink. Wish it was a double!

Come to think of it, the only time I've noticed it being on the left is when it's one of those double sinks with the tiny bowl on the left like this:
    elkay-cmr3322-double-bowl-drop-in-kitchen-sink-5-hole-stainless-steel.jpg

Maybe it's a regional thing?
    ~Garth

I've always been a wash-right-rinse-left person. I think mostly because of how the kitchen's have been laid out...

Couple of years ago I snagged one of these:

And installed:

What a sink! The left bowl will submerge a 27 pound turkey!

Now you're probably asking, why would I buy an under-counter sink and mount it on TOP?
    Because (A) eventually we're going to upgrade the countertops, and (B) I got the sink, brand new in the box $700 sink for $75...!

Anyway, I have the disposal on the smaller right side. But those who make the protective grates for the sink bottoms must think it
    should be on the left, because the left grate has a hole for disposal access, the right grate doesn't!

Now, I COULD mount the disposal on the left, but the bottom of the motor would only be about an inch from the bottom of the cabinet.
    And worse, the disposal drain outlet would be lower than the horizontal section of my drain pipe!

Now, I COULD rebuild the drain pipe, but..... Phooey on that. Disposal works fine on the right. We just don't use the grate.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Not the problem you would think. I don't dump huge amounts down my disposer, which is on the right by the way. Been using a disposer in my home for 40 years, pumped my tank 3 times in that time period (plan in pumping again this year). Yes I am knocking on wood as I type this. Only time I had a problem with a disposer was clogging the interior plumbing early on when eggshells and corn husks got ground up. Folks freak out first time they are on a septic system, but they are really a good way to handle sewage.
    The house didn't have a disposal when I bought it and I wouldn't even want to add one to the current sink until it gets replaced some day. I talked to a couple of septic people and they all recommended against a disposal. We are supposed to by law pump our septic systems every three years. If I really thought I needed one I would probably get one, but I really don't miss it that much.

I don't have one because they stink at times. And I am on a septic, and I have a garden, and.........

You often can't put the unit under the large side of an asymmetrical sink, as Kev noted, so be sure you consider that before you get too far along.

We've been in a house with a septic tank for 5 years and a disposal is high on the priority list, septic tank or not. It's going to be expensive since she also wants a new kitchen including a dishwasher, which some people also think is a septic tank no-no. We'll do it anyway.

I could wash dishes in either direction but when there is only one logical place for the rack (the short end of the counter), that's the controlling factor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    It's going to be expensive since she also wants a new kitchen including a dishwasher, which some people also think is a septic tank no-no. We'll do it anyway.
    A properly designed septic tank in good soils is fully capable of disposing the water from multi loads of wash per week as well as daily use of a dishwasher and disposal and doesn't need any special precautions for toilet use. The only different way I would use my plumbing system if I were on a city sewer might be to put all food waste down the disposal with the exception of corn cobs and husks and bones. Now those go in the trash as well as potato peelings, fat, large amounts of leftovers and vegetable waste like woody asparagus stalks.
    NOW you tell me...

Same here. I have no need for possible problems. It takes 2 seconds to scrape a plate into the trash, or compost container.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The house didn't have a disposal when I bought it and I wouldn't even want to add one to the current sink until it gets replaced some day. I talked to a couple of septic people and they all recommended against a disposal. We are supposed to by law pump our septic systems every three years. If I really thought I needed one I would probably get one, but I really don't miss it that much.
    Same with us. We lived on septic for many years, the first was a house we built, and were told it is best not to have a disposal. We were told a story about a family that had moved into a new house on a septic system for the first and the drain field had to be torn up after about two years. The wife was dumping grease down the drain, which simply destroyed the drain field by clogging it up. After replacing the entire thing, meaning tearing up a big slice of the yard, the contractor was very clear, do not pour / dump grease from cooking down the drain. Two or three years later they had the same problem, and once again tore it all up. The contractor asked what they had been doing. The wife says, "Well you said not to pour grease down the drain so I didn't, not even once. I take it to the bathroom and pour it down the toilet."

We treated our septic system with kid gloves perhaps, and never had a problem. We always had a dishwasher though, and used it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I take it to the bathroom and pour it down the toilet."
    There has got to be a blonde joke in there someplace.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night