Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to darken the markings on my combo squares

There you go Brian. Maybe there is some truth to that first Quote of yours!

Please report back,I'm following this thread cause I would like to darken the numbers and marks on my old metal lathe dials.I did do a search since michael's post,looks like amazon also sells it along with others.http://www.mcmaster.com/#layout-mark...pplies/=xbhv9q
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 05-24-2015 at 8:22 AM.

Carroll, Sometimes the dials on metal lathes are not engraved as deeply as steel rules. The dykem would still work but may not be as pronounced as the deeper engravings on the steel rules, or last as long when you apply it.

Steel rules today are sometimes laser engraved so this idea will not work in those cases.

Thanks for pointing that out Michael,I will go and check to see if my dial is like that or not.I was excited there for a minute,I sure hope it is.

I tried the Dykem on an old rule I have at work. Cleaned it in the big ultrasonic cleaner, scrubbed it with alcohol and sprayed the Dykem on it and let it dry for a few hours. Removed the excess with 600 grit wet/dry wrapped around a block. Very little noticeable difference.

Maybe i'll buy some gun bluing and give that a try.....
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    This is by far the best cold blue I have eve used ... ... ...

http://www.vansgunblue.com/gunblue-4oz.aspx

Clean the markings of any old material before starting ... gun blue will only darken clean fresh metal ... if there is ANY old paint, dye, coloring in the grooves, it cannot make good contact, and will not work properly. A wire brush, used just before the application of the bluing should leave it clean & shiny.
    Last edited by Bob Wingard; 05-30-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Brian, apply the dykem so all the scale markings are filled. Wait only 1 minute and turn the scale over onto a surface plate with 2 pieces of newspaper or regular paper, and lap the rule back and forth to remove the dykem from the surface of the rule.