Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This may not be my worst mistake but...........

Brian - would you mind breaking out the camera again?

I would love to see a photo framing the center section only - I am particularly looking to see the joinery from the drawer dividers coming in from the right and left to the posts/legs - wanna see how you pulled that rabbit out of the dust bin.

Thanks

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Fortunately the far right unit gets shelves so no problem there (yet!) The center is a pullout with walnut rods that run front to back so the wife can hang her tablecloths. The one I screwed up was for liquor bottles. SWMBO thinks making them narrower would be a waist of space.

I'll stare at it again tomorrow..... for now, I just filled the flask with Sailor Jerry, scuffed the tip on my Joss and we're heading to the pool hall to shoot some straight pool, or 9 ball

I looked at the wife and said, Don't you feel dumb for marrying such an idiot..... She smiled, said yes and walked away laughing

Thanks for letting me share this with you

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Kent, can I post that a little later for you? Heading out now
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Dude - it took you weeks to screw this up.......I can wait for the documentation.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Mount the door to the bottom pullout-actually decreases operations needed to operate the system.

Tom King's suggestion is a good one if the client is ok with it. Wide angle hinges are out because of the leg, but even without the opening angle limitation they would sag enough over time to foul the pullouts (trust me on this).

Are you confident in your door construction? I would expect significant movement with the seasons and potential cupping. To my eye the design calls for a veneered solution.

We all have our stories - fortunately mine were pre internet share. I'm sure there'll be some new ones though so stand by for my humble pie fest.

Meanwhile I was going to suggest 2 drawer fronts rather than on door in front of the pullouts. Otherwise you will be making up new pullouts and padding out the side. There are some very smart adjustable pullout stanchions made for just this type of situation but more suited to production kitchen cabs not your custom beauties.

Easy enough to rip the hinge hole section out and fill in with a new piece without compromising the front of the door. Asking me how I know how to make that repair .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    Brian,

You've got a fix to do with one of them but I think you're going to finish with some really nice cabinets.

PHM

Kent,

Actually, it took years to screw this up!! I started this build in late 2007. The pullouts and doors/drawer fronts were some of the first pieces I made. Then somehow a dinning table, desk with hutch and a tv cabinet needed to be built for the in-laws. A lot more happened but I won't bore you with the details.....

The cabinet is actually 3 separate units a bit over 4' each.

027_DxO (1373 x 1030).jpg

They sit on a framework and the front legs are about a 1/2" away from the front of the cabinet.
    047 (1030 x 1373).jpg

A view from the back between cabinets
    043_DxO (1030 x 1373).jpg

The legs and supports that run the length of the unit are QSWO and the pieces that run front to back are walnut which pass through the legs and will be secured with maple wedges for contrast

044 (1030 x 1373).jpg

Pullout for tablecloths

046 (1030 x 1373).jpg

Is that what you wanted to see?

Brian The town idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Tom King's suggestion is a good one if the client is ok with it. Wide angle hinges are out because of the leg, but even without the opening angle limitation they would sag enough over time to foul the pullouts (trust me on this).

Are you confident in your door construction? I would expect significant movement with the seasons and potential cupping. To my eye the design calls for a veneered solution.
    The doors were glued up in 2006 and did cup some but I handplaned them flat and they've been that way ever since. I considered battens but we'll see what happens to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Mount the door to the bottom pullout-actually decreases operations needed to operate the system.
    We considered this as the first option but the door is 27" tall and there is too much in the concealed drawer slides, it would rub the face frame if we're not careful....

Blog Entries
    They make a hinge that swings out as it opens, leaving the door flush with the inner edge when opened. That should fix this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    A very wise man told me: When you are digging a hole for yourself, the first thing to do is to throw the shovel away.

I assume you have the same situation on the far right, right?

Make 4 new trays. Move on. Or, as the saying goes: FIDO -- [Forget] It, Drive On.
    +1. I learned long ago to "just make a new one" in certain situations. It saves time and gets the job done right. A spacer block on the hinge side, new trays and away you go.

Oh, and I loved the accentuated dovetails but missed the accentuated lock miters . . . love those too. I really enjoy joinery as a design element ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-23-2015 at 9:21 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn! I was looking for ways to add some shadow lines without going overboard, which I tend to do sometimes. The dovetails were pretty straightforward, mark, saw and chisel but those lock miters were done with a router and I almost gave up on them. Those bits are designed to cut with the grain and don't work well going into face grain. I had 3 pieces that more or less exploded half way through the cut. Scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Actually, it took years to screw this up!! I started this build in late 2007.
    Then, we aren't in any huge rush to get this done over the Memorial Day weekend, eh? At least, not Mem Day 2015. THis mistake has been lurking in your shop for lo these many years, and just now showed up. I love it - you planted a landmine years ago, and just now stepped on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    The cabinet is actually 3 separate units a bit over 4' each.

Is that what you wanted to see?
    Yep - that answered it right there.

All looks very cool. I don't know the intricacies of build or intended use, but my free advice is to rework or rebuild those two drawers, with a rail or shim on the wall[s] to space the guides out to where they need to be. It just doesn't feel right to mickey-mouse your way around it by monkeying with the door.

You can retrofit that bit after the rest of the case is completed and installed, if you stumble across a sense of urgency somewhere.

And - I am with Glenn - I missed the exposed lock miters - that's way cool. Looking forward to photos of the finished piece - QSWO is my fave - looking forward to seeing the grain when done.

"Press on Regardless" - my motto in the shop. Exceept, I'm not man enough to share my mistakes.