Thread: cedar outdoor sign

cedar outdoor sign

https://youtu.be/14lFwzYhg2w took about 30 min cnc time and much more to finish it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!

Very nice! What did you use to seal it with before painting? I've tried a couple of things with not much success. And a lot of extra work. I got a piece of paint mask, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

it is a lot of work but you charge for it.First i seal it with varathane outdoor water based,then i paint 2 coats black then i sand the heck out of it
    then vac it good and seal it 4 x sand last coat
    Its 170 min plus 30min cnc time
    It takes awhile but its perfect not cheap

I have not tried paint mask yet,i use this technique for wood and solid surface

Thanks. I'll give the Varathane a try...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I recently read an article on the durability of clear outdoor wood finishes from the Fine Woodworking archives. They used a wide variety of finishes on several different rot resistant wood species. These samples were then exposed to the weather in places like Louisiana, New Mexice and some place in the frigid Northeast. The only finish that maintained its appearance for more than a few months was an expensive solvent based Marine varnish manufactured by Epiphanes. One water based outdoor varnish cracked and peeled completely off the surface in a few months.Their experiment parallels my experience almost exactly. I used Minwax solvent based "spar" varnish on some Adirondack chairs I built for a North facing porch where they didn't get direct sun and only blowing rain. The finish cracked and failed within one year and required complete stripping and refinishing. A durable clear finish on a piece of wood exposed to the elements is very hard to come by. Varathane may be new and better but I would be cautious about promising a customer that it will last when the overwhelming body of evidence is against it.

that might be all true,as these finishes are new and water based ,but its difficult to get anything other