Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxed my sole

Waxed my sole

I'm not a hand tool purist. I have planes and use them when they make sense. I was cleaning up some bandsawn long tapers and I was using one to smooth up the hard maple legs. It seemed like a lot of force was required and it seemed too much like exercise.

i then spied a box of gulfwax on my bench. I thought what the heck and wiped a bunch on the sole of the plane. Holy crap! The plane almost flew out of my hands when I started planing again.

Ok, I'm a slow learner. I have quite a few planes but never waxed the sole. Why didn't I do this before? Or, the real question why I'm posting....

Is gulfwax (paraffin, canning wax) the wrong thing to use on the plane sole? I can't imagine needing any more slickness but is there a better wax to use?

Thats what I use, it won't melt if left on the bench. Cheap, too.

I use it too. Works great. Cheap.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I use old candles or wax left when they are finished burning.

Have also used paste wax or my furniture polish rag.

Use it on saws to make them flow through the wood a little smoother.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yep gulf wax is my plane wax of choice. Try it on table saw fences and router bases too. Not a one trick pony.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Thanks all. I'll keep using it and try it on some other stuff too.

no worries that it will "contaminate" the wood and make finishing a problem?

I've never had any finishing problems after candle waxing my planes. You could always give it a quick sanding after with high-grit paper to remove any wax residue if you like.

A waxed sole will get you into hand plane heaven.

Wax, and wax regularly. Half the time I think I need to resharpen, the sole just needed a bit more lubrication.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

I wish I had put some on my block planes this past winter. I'm having to clean them up again, since the humidity has returned. Slow learner or forgetful, or just didn't do it. Have had better fortune using car wax on the old contractors saw.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    Or, the real question why I'm posting....
    No harm in a soul waxing poetic about waxing a sole.

I also prefer the harder waxes like paraffin.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    No harm in a soul waxing poetic about waxing a sole.

I also prefer the harder waxes like paraffin.
    I have yet to try paraffin. How does it differ from something like paste wax? I suspect it would last longer.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

I think paste wax is a blend of hard waxes and some mineral spirits, to keep it a paste. Paste wax is IMHO messier and just doesn't slide as easy. Paste wax (and wax emulsions like Anchorseal, which I use for turning stock and protecting iron from rust) goes on clearer and easier, but needs to dry before it's clean enough to touch.

The paraffin is like a crayon. Just color it on and go back to planing. Since it only lasts for a little while, it needs constant refreshing in process.

I use 3in1 in a can stuffed with rag as a wick ala Paul Sellers. Before that I used canning paraffin , but rag in the can is much quicker and also can be used to swipe a chisel on before putting back in the rack.

I like using paraffin, then smooth it with my warm hands. This also helps with sliding my hands across the wood while working. Have also had good results with WD-40 on older saw plates, but it is messy when one tries to clean the plate the next time around. I am talking about plates that are never used for sawing, like the No.7 I keep for posterity.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Thats what I use, it won't melt if left on the bench. Cheap, too.
    Mine didn't melt so much as it oozed around the base of my bench lamp. Took some work to get it off. Now I keep it in the fridge unless I'm actively using the stuff.