Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LN 48 T&G plane - no box?

LN 48 T&G plane - no box?

I ordered a LN no. 48 from Craftsman Studio, and it came wrapped in brown paper from Uline, inside a USPS BOX and no LN box inside, just a plane wrapped in paper and foam. I've always ordered planes directly from LN, and they always came in a LN box inside the shipping box. Can any 48 owners tell me if theirs came with a box? If so I will be back to ordering directly from LN again...
    It also came with a small but irritating dent on the handle right where I grip it.
    Thanks for any help.
    Pete

Blog Entries
    Wow. That is certainly not right. It wouldn't bother me too much, as I usually don't keep the box and don't see them as collectables but rather as user tools. That said, there are a lot of folks that would be bothered by that, and rightfully so. You buy something new, you expect to get a box.

Blog Entries
    Even though mine are bought to be users, the boxes are saved.

They do not have value to me, but they might have value to my heirs if they do not share my enthusiasm for woodworking.

You might try contacting Craftsman Studio to see what gives. I like to put my own personal dents in any tools bought new.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Of the many LN tools I have, my low angle adjustable block plane came like that (from Woodcraft), at least a decade ago. Wrapped in plastic and had marks on it as if someone sneezed on it. I felt the same way-for a short time, till I realized it is a tool and a tool to be used. It is one of my most used tools and the marks that came with it pretty much cleaned off with a bit of 600 grit Sc paper & WD-40. The few that remained, pale in comparison to the nicks and scratches that the plane earned in the passing years. I also save all boxes from my LN and LV tools, though I'm real close to tossing every one of them.

As far as my heirs, they're getting enough other stuff, that when they clean my mess(es) up, they'll probably toss the boxes anyways, marking them up to the idiocy of the old coot that bought a new tool and couldn't toss the box!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I've always saved the LN boxes. Initially I wasn't sure why, but when it came time to pack up my shop to move, and then storing them for 6 years, I'm glad I had the boxes and rust inhibiting paper they are wrapped in. Every one came thru without a blemish.

Bill Kohr owned Craftsman Studio here in San Diego for many years. Then, a few months ago, he just sold it and left. I was very disappointed because I had bought almost all my LN tools (a great many) from him throughout the years. I patronized his establishment many times and promoted his business to all my friends just to make sure he thrived. I think the new owner is in Oregon or somewhere. I was so disappointed that Bill would leave without a word of warning or good-bye that I removed the bookmark.
    I never got a LN tool that was not boxed.
    good luck,
    Don

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post
    I ordered a LN no. 48 from Craftsman Studio, and it came wrapped in brown paper from Uline, inside a USPS BOX and no LN box inside, just a plane wrapped in paper and foam. I've always ordered planes directly from LN, and they always came in a LN box inside the shipping box. Can any 48 owners tell me if theirs came with a box? If so I will be back to ordering directly from LN again...
    It also came with a small but irritating dent on the handle right where I grip it.
    Thanks for any help.
    Pete
    Peter,

I suggest you contact Craftsman Studio. The plane sounds to me like it may have been a return rather than a new one. If you paid for a new one I'm sure that's what you're expecting.

I think the boxes for LN tools are important. It seems to be customary to pass the box on with the tool if it's sold. As as far as the dent, back it goes.

I've had good luck with Craftsman Studio. I think they're a good vendor. I'm hoping this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 05-24-2015 at 5:03 AM.

I would inquire at the distributor and if not satisfied with the reply inquire directly to LN, referring to the distributor. I also would not put up with the dented handle. I am not as particular as some but you really should be happy. If you are unhappy you will use a different vendor next time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

You paid for a brand new plane and should have been sent a brand new one in the box. That is how all my LN planes came in. Contact the seller as others suggested.

I have never received any LN tool that was not in a box. If Craftsman Studio doesn't have a valid reason, contact LN customer service. LN will do everything to protect their name and reputation. Their customer service is second to none. That is part of what you are paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    The plane sounds to me like it may have been a return rather than a new one.
    Or - maybe the floor model for people to handle.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Or - maybe the floor model for people to handle.............
    Kent, what's a fair floor model discount? Fifteen to twenty percent? I think that's what Highland does.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    Maurice, I am not the one you asked, but I would think 15 to 20 percent is the norm, but in the case of LN tools with their high resale value maybe 10 to 15 percent. Personally I would settle for that as opposed to an exchange if the dent didn't bother me too much. Also I think it fair to post an update if Craftsman's Studio made good in the end. It is always possible that one employee made a bad decision to ship it to you unboxed but the owner or manager might not have known.

Yeah - I'd go with Malcolm - 10% - 15% for LN stuff with no functional dings.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Probably spot on, Malcolm and Kent. I'd contact the seller and see if they would make it right.
    Maurice