Thread: Replacing Cutter head on 12 Parks with Shelix

Replacing Cutter head on 12 Parks with Shelix

Has anyone replaced the cutter head on a 12" Parks planer with a Shelix. If so, how did it go, any issues? Was it a difficult process, I am a woodworker not a machinist. Were you happy with the end result? My Parks, in general is in pretty good condition even though it is older. I am looking to reduce the noise and improve the quality of the cut. If you have a Parks, have you designed a dust collection "port" that works well?
    Thanks
    Mark

Have you found a good deal on a spiral head for the Parks?
    Cut quality on mine is quite good, although I can get some issue with knots or reversing grain (I leave enough for hand plane work in this case).

old woodworking machines site has some examples of home-built dust shrouds.
    That's next on my project list. (wind, broom and dust pan have been the dust collection to-date)

Matt

Not sure what you consider a good deal, but I found a replacement head for the Parks on the Shelix web site.
    Thanks for the info.
    Mark

I had a Parks for several years and got good quality cuts. When I would get greedy and try to get too much mileage out of the blades the quality of the cuts would diminish quickly. Changing blades became a quick excercise. I have a spiral head planer now and get more "mileage" from the carbide inserts but the quality of the cuts isn't quite as good as the Parks with sharp blades.

I cut out a piece of ply and drilled holes for the roller adj nuts to protrude thru, attached a 12" x 4" HVAC floor vent fitting, bungied it tightly and it worked great for DC.

I had a Parks for many years and just last year sold it as I "upgraded" to a larger machine. Truth be told I wish I hadn't sold it... The parks, set up properly with sharp HHS blades, gave a phenomenal finish. I thought about a insert head at one time, I decided against it due to cost and I could change blades and completely tune it up in under half an hour. As far as dust collection, here's some pics of the dust hood I built for mine. Worked great!

Mike
    IMG_20140816_171236649-800.jpg IMG_20140816_171250302-800.jpg IMG_20140816_170455063_HDR-800.jpg IMG_20140816_170440799_HDR-800.jpg

Thanks Mike, great idea for the hood!
    Mark

Thanks John for your insight and the Hvac idea!!
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    My DC hood was the same idea as Mike's but I attached the vent to the ply instead of makng a box. IIRC I cut and taped cardboard on the sides to manage air flow. Not as pretty as Mikes but worked well. I would still have the Parks but I got a great deal on a Grizz 20" with spiral head. Needed the width but miss the smoother cuts with the Parks. I don't think an upgrade to a spiral on the Parks would be worth the cost and rebuild effort. John.

Thanks John for the additional input!!
    Mark