Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request for pics and experiences w/ g1023RL and G0690

Request for pics and experiences w/ g1023RL and G0690

Hello all. I have been on several sites including SMC reading up on the Grizzly G1023RL and G0690/1. Goodness there are a lot of similar requests for help deciding between the two!

However, my request is just ever so slightly different. I have been toying with the idea(s) of reconfiguring my tool selections somewhat. I currently have an old General International contractor type saw with good cast iron wings. Nice saw and does just fine in my tiny shop, but the blood lust for a cabinet saw more along the lines of what I use professionally, is proving to be quite strong. I feel that the little General saw is heading to my youngest son for continued use, and I think I would like to get either a G1023RL or G0690 for its replacement. I wonder if any of you who own these saws would be kind enough to post me some pictures of the SHOP FOX fence that comes with these saws? Any comments on the fence is appreciated also. Shoot, now that the G1023RL has been out a while, I would love to hear any comments on ownership of either of these saws too. Nothing too elaberate, just how they are holding up since being purchased.

I also think, while we are on the beloved subject of being a tool addict, that I may consider packaging my INCA 510 and the General saw for my son, thereby affording myself an excuse for buying a G634XP Jointer/Planer combo to go with the cabinet saw.....hmmmmm.....why not a General International bench top mortiser too while we are at it....

A guy I know bought a new G0690, and hated it. Said his son has a 1023, and it is a good saw.

Thanks jim,
    Interesting that that guy hated the 690. Everything I read just raves about both the 1023 and 0690/1. Well, except for the odd quibble on saw fence flatness or dust collection on the 1023.

one of the reasons for my request for pictures was to get an idea of the Shop Fox dimensions. Is it sized more like the original Biesemeyer? Or more like the "hobbyist" sized Biesemeyer/Bies clones?

There is a new-ish PM 2000(?) at school and the Bies clone fence on it is HUGE looking. Much more substantial than I remember the fences being. In leiu of pictures, could a 1023 and/or 0690 owner tell me if the owner's manual has the fence dimensions? I'm just curious as to the shop fox fence and it's "stoutness" relative to the classic Biesemeyer's.

Also interested in hearing how these two saws have held up after some miles under their belts....thanks.

"Also interested in hearing how these two saws have held up after some miles under their belts....thanks."

Which brings up one of the reasons I decided to buy a G1023RLWX. The G1023 series uses a single serpentine belt, while the G690 series uses three matched-length belts. Given the choice I personally will pick one belt over three any day of the week. This only matters when it comes time for replacement though.

With respect to dust collection, it seems like some previous posts I read wanted the sawdust to be totally removed from within the saw. I personally don't see residual sawdust within the saw as being an issue. It's more about how the sawdust is extracted as the cut is being made. I think the G 1023RL is adequate as far as sawdust removal is concerned, but not exceptional.

My impression is that both sides are equally good. But I have only used the G 1023RLWX...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have had my 1023rl 5 years. It is still going strong without an issue. I would buy it again in a heartbeat I don't miss the Unisaw that it replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    "Also interested in hearing how these two saws have held up after some miles under their belts....thanks."

Which brings up one of the reasons I decided to buy a G1023RLWX. The G1023 series uses a single serpentine belt, while the G690 series uses three matched-length belts. Given the choice I personally will pick one belt over three any day of the week. This only matters when it comes time for replacement though.

With respect to dust collection, it seems like some previous posts I read wanted the sawdust to be totally removed from within the saw. I personally don't see residual sawdust within the saw as being an issue. It's more about how the sawdust is extracted as the cut is being made. I think the G 1023RL is adequate as far as sawdust removal is concerned, but not exceptional.

My impression is that both sides are equally good. But I have only used the G 1023RLWX...
    Thanks Bill. Exactly the kind of real world info I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have had my 1023rl 5 years. It is still going strong without an issue. I would buy it again in a heartbeat I don't miss the Unisaw that it replaced
    Cary, a ringing endorsement. Thanks!
    So the 1023 has a nice strong following. Not surprising considering it is the revamped version of Grizzly's bread and butter saw. Any 0690/1 lovers too?

I've had the 690 for 3 years. No issues at all. Can't speak to the 1023- never used it but know people who do they love it. My 690 has lots of grunt and I've never bogged it down. Dust collection is good. Roving knife and fence both great. I put mine on a mobile base and it rolls around easily. I would use the miter gauge for anything precise. I have an Incra that is quite accurate. My one and only gripe is very minor. The throat plate is a bit of a problem. Seems a bit lightweight and once I get it adjusted to sit flat it can work its way out of adjustment fairly quickly. Thread locking goo usually keeps it in line longer. I do a lot of segmented turning and I easily hold a fraction of a degree accuracy on repeated cuts. Close enough for me. The fence is substantial but not a burden by any means. I suspect I would be happy with either saw but the 690 is the saw I bought and I have no regrets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sevey View Post
    I've had the 690 for 3 years. No issues at all. Can't speak to the 1023- never used it but know people who do they love it. My 690 has lots of grunt and I've never bogged it down. Dust collection is good. Roving knife and fence both great. I put mine on a mobile base and it rolls around easily. I would use the miter gauge for anything precise. I have an Incra that is quite accurate. My one and only gripe is very minor. The throat plate is a bit of a problem. Seems a bit lightweight and once I get it adjusted to sit flat it can work its way out of adjustment fairly quickly. Thread locking goo usually keeps it in line longer. I do a lot of segmented turning and I easily hold a fraction of a degree accuracy on repeated cuts. Close enough for me. The fence is substantial but not a burden by any means. I suspect I would be happy with either saw but the 690 is the saw I bought and I have no regrets at all.

It it should read riving knife is great and I would not use the miter gauge for anything accurate. I apologize for fat fingers and ignoring autocorrect.

Well I'm no cabinet saw expert but have owned the 690 for a couple years, it's a great saw, enjoy using it. I would certainly purchase it again if I needed a cabinet saw. For the fellow that said he "hated" the 690 I would be interested in hearing the details of why he hated it. I don't have any experience with the 1023 model but when I was saw shopping I didn't really see much difference between the two models. The 690 has the Leeson motor which some folks think might be a better motor, I like the right side vacuum port, that fits my set up well. Both models are made by the same company, probably six one way and half-a-dozen the other, choose if you like green or white better.
    Last edited by julian abram; 05-24-2015 at 1:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    it seems like some previous posts I read wanted the sawdust to be totally removed from within the saw. I personally don't see residual sawdust within the saw as being an issue.
    I have read this several times also. Not really an issue. If a little spoil "snow-drifts" up into the interior corners the rest of the spoil moves on. I must confess to reaching in there with a shop vaxc and sucking it out every couple of years anyway.

Jim O'Dell is a long time owner. Search found some good info here: Jim O'Dell, 1023 site:www.sawmillcreek.org

Bear in mind the 1023 has had its trunnion redesigned to allow a riving knife. Many happy owners of both chimed in when I was looking. I ended up going with a different color but, both were on my short list.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John McBride View Post
    ...I wonder if any of you who own these saws would be kind enough to post me some pictures of the SHOP FOX fence that comes with these saws? Any comments on the fence is appreciated also.
    You may be aware, but it's worth noting that the fence on the G0690 is not the same as the Shop Fox Classic that comes with the G1023RL. They're similar designs with some differences. Grizzly's website has videos of both saws that include highlights of the fences. The SF Classic has been around for quite a while, and has been a stock item on some of their saws over the past decade or so....G1023S series, G1023RL, G1022ProZ, as well as several of the Shop Fox model saws. The G0690 is essentially the same saw as the Laguna Platinum, Craftex CX200, Baleigh, Harvey, and Oliver offerings, the fence is the same on all of them. It has greater stock capacity than the Shop Fox Classic, but either can easily be slid to the right to gain about 10" more rip capacity without drilling....effectively making the capacity 36" and 40" respectively.

My 2008 Shop Fox W1677 came with the SF Classic, which replaced a Craftsman 22124 that had a Biesemeyer Commercial fence. The fences are similar in function, design, and even duty rating....the biggest differences being that the Beise has the laminated faces vs the HDPE faces on the Classic. Tubing sizes are also very similar, and the either fence will fit on either front rail. IMHO, the Biese had a slightly better fit and finish. At even money, I'd lean toward the Biese, but at going market prices, I'd no problem with the Classic. Ironically, my Cman 22124 and Biese fence replaced a GI 50-185M1 that had the General T-fence version of the former Biese Homeshop fence...very similar to the Biese Commercial duty fence, but with slightly smaller dimensions and is a tad lighter. As fate would have it, I stumbled into a terrific deal on the Jet Xacta II fence only (no rails) that included a router fence option to replace the right face, so I sold the SF Classic fence tube, and mounted the Xacta II with router fence onto my SF Classic rails. I've also added the 10" rip capacity to it.

I don't have many great pics, but will post a couple:
    Last edited by scott spencer; 05-25-2015 at 7:39 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sevey View Post
    It it should read riving knife is great and I would not use the miter gauge for anything accurate. I apologize for fat fingers and ignoring autocorrect.
    Jim, lol......no worries. I too suffer from fat finger affliction. Thanks for your input. I am actually sort of leaning to the 690. Though, like many, many before me, I am also wavering between it, and the 1023 RL. I like the beef and simplicity of the 690. Tried and true internals design etc. OTOH, the 1023 is the bread and butter model for Grizzly. The updates to it point to a very smooth and stable machine. Taiwanese construction (vs. Chinese for the 690iirc) and a couple of refinements that are potential improvements over the old unisaw design.....makes for a tough decision. Nice problem to have though.i

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    You may be aware, but it's worth noting that the fence on the G0690 is not the same as the Shop Fox Classic that comes with the G1023RL. They're similar designs with some differences. Grizzly's website has videos of both saws that include highlights of the fences. The SF Classic has been around for quite a while, and has been a stock item on some of their saws over the past decade or so....G1023S series, G1023RL, G1022ProZ, as well as several of the Shop Fox model saws. The G0690 is essentially the same saw as the Laguna Platinum, Craftex CX200, Baleigh, Harvey, and Oliver offerings, the fence is the same on all of them. It has greater stock capacity than the Shop Fox Classic, but either can easily be slid to the right to gain about 10" more rip capacity without drilling....effectively making the capacity 36" and 40" respectively.

My 2008 Shop Fox W1677 came with the SF Classic, which replaced a Craftsman 22124 that had a Biesemeyer Commercial fence. The fences are similar in function, design, and even duty rating....the biggest differences being that the Beise has the laminated faces vs the HDPE faces on the Classic. Tubing sizes are also very similar, and the either fence will fit on either front rail. IMHO, the Biese had a slightly better fit and finish. At even money, I'd lean toward the Biese, but at going market prices, I'd no problem with the Classic. Ironically, my Cman 22124 and Biese fence replaced a GI 50-185M1 that had the General T-fence version of the former Biese Homeshop fence...very similar to the Biese Commercial duty fence, but with slightly smaller dimensions and is a tad lighter. As fate would have it, I stumbled into a terrific deal on the Jet Xacta II fence only that included a router fence option to replace the right face, so I sold the SF Classic fence tube, and mounted the Xacta II with router fence onto my SF Classic rails. I've also added the 10" rip capacity to it.

I don't have many great pics, but will post a couple:
    Scott, how do you like the shop fox saw? Which Grizzly is it the sister to? 1023, or 0690?

The G0690 was in the summer sale flyer for $1150? until July 31. I don't have the flyer with me at the moment. I am not sure why it is not listed like that on the website.